Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PrecisionJaC, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Hi,

Is it stupid to defret a '77 Fender Precision? I mean, does it sing too, or do I really really gotto get me a Jazzbass for that? (Fenderly speaking)

Ps: Would like to share this REALLY hot HotwireBass omg it's nice!! Sure would like to have one..

2. I would say yes.

However, I'll trade you that for my Squire P/J and you can defret that one instead!
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I personally like the tone of fretless P-basses, but it is not a Jaco tone. The pickup is too far from the bridge for that sound. Maybe you should track down a fretless Yamaha P style bass. These are pretty cheap ($175-$250) and playing one of those could let you know if you really want to alter a borderline vintage bass.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would never defret a 78 P bass now. I defretted my 76 years ago (along with other mods) and I totally lost its resale value. Those 70's basses go for $2000 or more now.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you just have to mess with it, order a fretless neck from a replacement part place like Warmoth or the like.

Switch out or order new hardware and you'll have some sense of the experience and be able to go back to the original no harm no foul. That bass is worth too much money in today's inflated world to start ripping it apart.
  6. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
  7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you really want a fretless, and don't feel your '77 does what you want, sell it, get a good sum of money, and get yourself a quality fretless.