Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CSB, Feb 23, 2006.

1. CSB

Feb 23, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    I am looking at a Fender Jazz Bass, but it is made in Korea. I really like the tone but where it is made makes me nervous. Can somebody who know give me your opinion? or teach me something. I had a beginner Yamaha. Now that I know... The tone sucks. The Fender is 625 bucks. Need Help

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I wouldn't worry so much about that - I've played some pretty dcent instruments that were MIK... If it plays nice, and sounds good, and is a good deal - go for it, and don't look back... You can't go wrong if you play it before buying, and you like it...

- georgestrings
  3. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    The price you mention sounds kinda steep for a Korean jazz, even brand new. For your $625 you can get a used American jazz bass which will provide a better grade of electronics and (usually) a somewhat better 'fit and finish' than the import.

Me...I'd keep looking.
  4. CSB

Feb 23, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    The-home, Did you get me email
  5. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Wern't we just talking bout this? I just got a MIK Jazz 24, if that's what your looking at, they have Hipshot tuners, a quilted maple top, alder body, Seymour Duncan Pick ups, and are made just fine. They go for about $690, I got mine cheaper. That's not too much for that bass.
    If it's not, tell me what your looking at.
    Check my profile, I have lots of basses and didn't mind paying that for this one.
  6. Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    I've played a few of the basses AxtoOx mentioned and been pretty impressed. There are actually quite a few Korean basses I've played that have been very respectable...Schecter comes to mind immediately because I have one sitting in my lap as I'm typing. Cort Artisans I *think* are made in Korea as well, and are also nice for the buck. Aren't the Fender Geddy Lee's MIK as well? Those are nice too. Basically though, if you like it and it feels solid, I say buy it. It is true that you can get a MIA used for about that price with some patience, but it will have a different sound without those Duncans in there.