1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

QUESTION???????

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Attenergy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Attenergy

Attenergy Living to be ONE with the Low End 4orce !

Mar 26, 2007
    Is there a anything wrong with stringing your bass B,E,A,D?!?! Would I lose something if I did?!?! Would it make it harder to play Jazz?!?!:confused:

2. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Billy Sheehan does that on some of his basses-- sounds pretty darn good to me.

3. rap138

rap138

May 29, 2007
    south of Spain
    no problems with that, there is some threads about it you could check.

4. Attenergy

Mar 26, 2007
    Thanks Guys!!! As I was practicing my two octaves scales last night, I found that I do not really like the sound of the higher notes on the G string past the 12th fret G (or most notes past the 12th fret)... it just sounds like a guitar and they are difficult to finger (I play the fretless). Can I still play the serious Jazz Standard tunes and get work (once I get good) as a bassist?!?!?! Is it possible for that to be my main instrument?!?!:confused:

5. Attenergy

Mar 26, 2007
    also ... how do I find the threads that speak about this?!?!?

6. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    Get a fiver

7. its okay, just to save you some time:

1. a fiver is nice, but a BEAD bass is really nice too

2. I use .130 strings (they're GHS tapewound)

3. The nut work can be done by you...if you're the methodical, patient type. It took me about a whole weekend to get it JUST RIGHT....lots and lots and lots and lots of micro adjustments. U can always file more out of a nut but you can never put back.

4. If you're using roundwounds, u can use your strings as the file...otherwise, a V-file is your best best.

5. I can't remember if I ultimately tightened my truss rod or loosened it....I think I tightened it so I can get things as low as possible.

6. I replaced the bridge with a badass 2 to accomodate the thicker strings. If you're going to do the same, you'll have to file a small notch to keep the strings in place.

7. After the initial setup, action was very high and felt very tight. After micro adjustments, the strings were as low as they could be without rattling. Softened up the feel, but still very tight.

8. Scale length isn't as nearly important as the construction of bass and setup. Although, if your bass isn't that great, you can cheat a little by leaving the nut a little higher and the bridge saddles set far back as possible to get as much length/increase tightness....your saddles might not look to pretty, but it'll work.

9. I'm playing a P-bass with 1/4 pounders, so the sound is thunderous. Make sure you've got good pickups.

10. Out of all the bass players i've seen playing jazz at my school, they were making A LOT of use of the G string. But beyond that, BEAD is actually a very nice setup.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=77588024&albumId=1176746

8. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't want it as my only bass and for Jazz I would stick to standard tuning. Since Jazz you are more likely to solo with that tuning you will be living at the high end of your neck.