Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aaronstar, May 22, 2002.

1. So I've got an Ampeg classic series 4X10 and an old Carvin 300 Watt rack head with my Fender P-Bass with Emg's. It sounds like crap. No matter how much I mess with it. I want to get a decent rock n roll tone out of it, but it's just too bright and wet sounding. When I take down the treble or take the high end off, it sounds like low end mush. I play with a pick.

Any advice on some better tone? (Other than, get a new bass)?
  2. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    try playing with your fingers. Fingerstyle generally produces less highs than a pick. Also you could try a lighter gauge pick, maybe even those felt covered picks. I havent tried them but some people here have!
  3. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    aaronstar: You have a great bass for rock. The cabinet should be fine, too. Now, about that Carvin head:

Joan Rivers voice on:
    "Can we talk?"
    Joan Rivers voice off.

Rock&Roll loves an Ampeg!
  4. Yea you're probably right about the Carvin head, I used to play a dumpy old Crate and that even sounded better than the Carvin does. What do you think about Trace Elliots?

As far as playing with my fingers, there's no way. I can't, won't, and shudder to at the thought of playing fast loud rock n roll with anything but a pick. I will try the lighter gauge though, the ones I use now are like steel

thanks fellas
  5. shudder? i play fast and loud metal, and my fingers love it!!!

i also have an ampeg 4x10 (paired with an ampeg 1x18) and I'm about to get rid of them, for reasons not unlike your own, although I have more probs with the muddiness than the high end. They are both HE cabs, and I'm none too impressed. I'm getting two edens myself. don't know about your Carvin head, I'm using an SVTIIIPro which has great tone with the right cabs.

6. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I currently use a Trace GP12SMX preamp that I have had for years and I love it. I play some rock with it, and it will growl when you dig in. If you want a nastier sound though, it probably won't suit you. As far as playing with a pick, I don't, but many noteworthy rock bassists do and it should not be a problem to get satisfying tone with one.
  7. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i was a picker in speed and thrash bands for about 8 years before making the switch to fingers. it's a bitch at first playing the quick stuff, but it's so worth it, just for the snobbiness, oh, and the tone.
  8. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    what kind of money do you have?

ampeg is good for rock.. maybe an ampeg head would be a good pair with your cab.
  9. I love my HE cab (4x8). l like it better than the Eden's and SWRs I played....