1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by ac dc 8, Sep 11, 2002.

1. ac dc 8

ac dc 8

Sep 11, 2002
    this is a dumb question....but im new...whats a pickup? and if i have precision and jazz pickups whats that mean and what do they do?
    thanks

2. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I think a pickup is like, "Hey baby, haven't I seen you here before."

A precision pickup would be like "Lets go home and get nasty."

A jazz pickup would be like "Hey cool kitty, lets say we skip this joint and swing on a vine."

But I don't know too much about it, so don't listen to me.

3. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    LMMFAO!!!

:D:D:D:D

*falls offa chair*

*im calm now, hehehe, im ok*

*smirk*

*PAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-fades*

:D

4. isnt a pickup something with 4 wheels or something ?:confused: :confused: :confused:

-------------------------------------------------
    "Einstein once said:
    My name is Alfred Einstein"
    -------------------------------------------------

5. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

a pickup is a device used to change the resonate energy of a vibrating string into electrical energy so it can be amplified. it's the thing that lets you hear what note you're playing! basically, it's a coil of wire w/either a magnet under it or magnetice pole pieces.

a jazz pickup is one from a fender jazz bass, usually one single coil for all four strings. a precision pickup is from a fender precision bass and is usuall two single coil pickups wired in series, one each for half the strings. this is also called the "split pickup." there's combo setups where a bass will have a precision pickup setup and then a jazz pickup by the bridge. the split pickup is quieter (less hum) than the jazz pickup but is less bright (upper frequencies).

hope this helps.

on bass, watt