Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by ac dc 8, Sep 11, 2002.

1. ac dc 8

ac dc 8

Sep 11, 2002
    this is a dumb question....but im new...whats a pickup? and if i have precision and jazz pickups whats that mean and what do they do?
  2. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I think a pickup is like, "Hey baby, haven't I seen you here before."

A precision pickup would be like "Lets go home and get nasty."

A jazz pickup would be like "Hey cool kitty, lets say we skip this joint and swing on a vine."

But I don't know too much about it, so don't listen to me.
  3. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001

*falls offa chair*

*im calm now, hehehe, im ok*

4. isnt a pickup something with 4 wheels or something ?:confused: :confused: :confused:

"Einstein once said:
    My name is Alfred Einstein"
  5. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

a pickup is a device used to change the resonate energy of a vibrating string into electrical energy so it can be amplified. it's the thing that lets you hear what note you're playing! basically, it's a coil of wire w/either a magnet under it or magnetice pole pieces.

a jazz pickup is one from a fender jazz bass, usually one single coil for all four strings. a precision pickup is from a fender precision bass and is usuall two single coil pickups wired in series, one each for half the strings. this is also called the "split pickup." there's combo setups where a bass will have a precision pickup setup and then a jazz pickup by the bridge. the split pickup is quieter (less hum) than the jazz pickup but is less bright (upper frequencies).

hope this helps.

on bass, watt