Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by willsellout, Aug 27, 2003.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    Any luthiers in southern california near orange county? Do you need someone to sweep floors and hold things in uncomfortable positions for long periods of time? I am just looking to learn some stuff and am willing to just hang out and do whatever I can. I have some free time, but not a ton cause my normal work schedule is a bit hairy at times. But when I am not at work I could definitely be helping out.
    Thanks

Dan

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Get ready to do some hand sanding. If you were in MA I would have you sanding basses.

;)

3. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I am in the process of refinishing my Bass..Had to do some block sanding..I really enjoyed it. I love the building side almost as much as playing. I am completely fascinated by it. It's tough, sometimes frustrating, painstaking work..and I want to learn as much as i can. Wish I was in Mass, I would love to help. I was actually stationed in Portsmouth NH for about 3 years. I miss New England.

Dan

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It will always be painstaking and frustrating. Doesn't matter how much experience you get, your project will always come up with a new way to surprise you. So far, it manages to always be interesting and rewarding, too.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    FWIW, if I'm not mistaken, Hanewinckel is there. I don't know him at all, though, and would have no idea if he needs anybody.

www.hanewinckelguitars.com

6. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    He is actually going to be making my custom. He is right down the street but he was pretty specific about being the only one that touches the basses. When he makes mine though, he said I could help out. I respect that cause he really cares about quality control. I went to his shop and checked it out. He was really helpful and showed me all his new toys and stuff.

Dan