questionable 80's fender J, whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groooooove, Aug 20, 2013.

1. http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/4013817315.html

ever since i decided i dont actually want a stingray, i've got a little extra spending cash and i'm just shopping around.

looks like a cool old bass, but whats with that headstock? front and back look funny.

in reality i doubt i'll even go look at it, but it looks a bit odd i think.

thoughts?

2. An 80s Fender with THAT kind of wear on the decal & headstock??
    They're poly finished, aren't they??

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Looks like fire damage on the back.

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The “all original” claim is questionable, and the asking price is laughable.

The extendo-pickguard/no control plate says “Mid-‘90s Fender ‘Squier Series’ MIM” to me. I’ve never seen a maple fretboard in that particular series, which makes me wonder if the neck is original. Also, the white/cream pickup covers were not native to that particular series. The “F” plate could be OEM aftermarket. As for what “toners” are, I’m not quite sure.

5. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    The extended white PG most definitely was a MIA Jazz Bass thing from the early 80's (maybe 1982-1984ish). It was the height of the CBS cost-cutting, and IMO it looks horrible.

The headstock logo looks correct for that time period too - that's what the later MIM and MIJ logos looked like. However, due to the damage to it, it's hard to say if that's REALLY a MIA Jazz.

6. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Definetely fire damage on the headstock

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021