1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questionable P-bass Specs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by debris, Apr 18, 2010.

1. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not necessarily in the market right now, but I have a solid idea of what I'm looking for with regard to a precision bass if I were to someday be able to afford another instrument.

1. For some reason I am very attracted to the butterscotch blonde body with a black pickguard, and will accept no substitute for this color combination.

2. I also want very much to have a passive instrument. Not that I dislike active (I play a stingray now), I just am particularly taken by a passive p-bass.

3. I also would want the bass to have a bridge pickup for tonal purposes.

My first question: Is there such thing as a passive precision bass with a bridge pickup?
    I have looked online a good deal and it looks like the only ones are artist series models. Not to be stingy, but I just have an aversion to artist series basses. I kind of want to build my own instrument, rather than buy something a professional player had a hand in designing with their particular style of play in mind.

Second: If I am to find a bass with all these specifications minus the bridge pickup, would it be expensive to have a bridge pickup installed? I don't know much in the way of p-up modification.

Thanks in advance.

2. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Adding a bridge pickup to a P bass is probably the most common mod done. I'm sure there are a number of new models out there with this as a standard feature, Fender and non-Fender.

3. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    That's good to hear.

The only models on the Fender website that have a bridge p-up are the deluxes, which are all active, unfortunately for me.

I'm also intending to buy a Fender and not another make with the same design. Call me old fashioned, but that's the plan.

4. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    You are in luck. Fender used to make P basses with a bridge pickup, and it was passive. I kind of want one too.

5. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Do you know what year(s) those were?
    It might be a long shot, but it'd be great to be keeping a look out for that model.

6. Just buy a P Deluxe and wire it passive. Not a hard mod to do at all.

7. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I considered that, but it seems like I would be potentially spending a good deal more money for pickups which I would be intentionally deactivating, to make a bad pun.

Of course, if I can find a good deal on a deluxe then it would be just the same, since I would probably save some money on the p-up mod.
    That's actually a good option--I'll keep watch for those too.

8. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    The deluxe P-bass can be played in passive mode with the flip of a switch.

9. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    That's true. I actually just read that on the Fender website the other day.

However, I still don't want to pay for a deluxe to use it in passive mode all the time. I think if I were to get a deluxe, it would have to be used, so as to stay within my budget.

A used standard would probably the way to go also if I want to save the most cash.

10. Why not Warmoth or USACG?

11. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Early 1990's Precision Plus. I have one and I love it.
    Rocky

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I used to have a 2001 Hot Rodded Precision. It was a passive P with a Jazz pickup near the bridge. Mine was Sunset Orange Transparent. I don't know if they were ever offered in a Butterscotch finish.

13. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    You know, I guess I never was in the loop about these companies...they make a lot of sense and appear to save a lot of money if you know what you're looking for.

I will defintiely do some more reading on their sites before I buy anything.

Thanks for wising me up to that option btw!

14. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Heh, Wikipedia says it's known as the "Boner P-bass."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Precision_Bass_Plus

How easily do you think these would turn up? I hazard I'd be a lucky man man to find one for sale in butterscotch blonde with a rosewood fretboard.

15. jimiwhite

jimiwhite

Jul 8, 2003
    The closest your going to get to a stock PJ Fender is the Tony Franklin P bass. I think the amber finish is killer, nitro, black guard and passive.

The other great pj that comes to mind is the G&L SB2, and they offer it in your color.

Jimi

16. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Jazz Bass Special?

17. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    i second this. i have 2 warmoth guitars, and soon to have a warmoth bass. nothing but great things to say about them. i've learned a lot having only myself to assemble and set up my guitars too!

and i've heard a lot of great things about USACG. their products don't look as detailed as warmoth's to me, but they seem to have a great rep from people who have bought from them.

18. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
  19. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    I know this is not quite what you asked, but I'd say just get the P without the bridge pickup. Play it for a while and I think you'll be quite surprised at the tonal range you can get from one well placed pickup. If you're not satisfied, you can have the body routed later for another pickup.

20. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't really have a lot of experience with real Fender Precisions to know how it's going to sound, but I've played my friend's jazz a good bit, which I prefer turned all the way up with both pickups.

I admit there are times when the neck p-up has the sound I'm looking for, but from the basses I've played on I wouldn't want to be limited to that tone all the time. Playing a single-H stingray, I suppose I've become pretty accustomed to the the brightness that comes from the bridge p-up.

That's a good idea though, as the option would be there if indeed I found myself wanting that option tonally, or if I found that the single p-up met my demands.