Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questiong about Big Block 750 footswitch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alapantera, Jun 2, 2005.

1. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I bought a BB750 yesterday and love the sound i get with it. This amp comes with overdrive built in. When i plug the footswitch that controlls the overdrive into the amp, i cannot get it unmuted.

this switch has 2 buttons, one for the overdrive and one for a tuner/mute. the overdrive button works (as far as i can tell), the light on the amp turns on and off. but the mute is on as soon as i plug a cable into the amp, reguardless of whether the footswitch is connected to the other end of the cable or not, and toggling the switch does nothing.

Is my amp defective? or am i just overreacting and doing something stupid?

any help is very much appreciated.

p.s. if you need any clarification let me know... i'm a little tired right now and might not be making any sense

SpadeBass likes this.
  2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Is there anything on the back of the amp that you can switch? I remember my teacher mucking around with the mute/distortion jack area when he couldn't find the pedal in store (They didn't work of course, but different lights were coming on). I can't remember exactly what he was doing, he may of had an ordinary A/B box in there though...

If all else fails, take it to a shop! :)

3. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I'm a Boogie dealer so I'll check on that and get back to ya.

4. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I'm a Boogie dealer so I'll check on that and get back to ya. By the way Mesa Boogie has excellent customer service so you might try giving them a call.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

One word of warning, do not run this head at 2 ohms (even though it is rated to go down to 2 ohms). We've seen at least 3 of these fry while running at 2 ohms here on TB. Good luck with your other issue.

6. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    thanks for the help guys... i'll try to get a hold of mesa today if they're still open.

7. lowendmetal

lowendmetal

Jan 30, 2013
    Deader than dead thread bump! I recently purchased a 750 and have the exact same issue going on with the footswitch. Wondering if any one knows the resolution to this?

SpadeBass likes this.
  8. Just saw this thread...

The foot switch for requires a stereo cable, not a mono. If you plug a mono cable in, it will turn the OD on and off, but will keep the tuner mute on. Try a different cable, stereo of course. The amp is not defective.