Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questiong regarding various types of inputs & outputs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Dec 16, 2005.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OK, I hope I phase this in such way, that it makes sense to everyone....

BUT..

On my BA115SP, it has what is referred to as a Balanced Line Output... the documentation indicates its for hooking into a house sound board, or an external amp of some sort.

I've noticed that QSC Power Amps, have what is referred to as an XLR Input... They also have what is referred to as TRS inputs, which look like your standard 1/4" jack.

The BLO & XLR jacks sockets LOOK identical. By all practical purposes, I should be able to use my BA115SP as a preamp, in the short term,,, until I buy a "real" pre amp... Sure, its not optimal, and I can think of any number of preamps that would be better, but I dont really want to buy a pre,, until I know which pre I actually want.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The balanced line output, XLR, and TRS are similar in that there are three connections made.

At first glance, you should be able to use the BA115SP as a preamp into your QSC with no problem.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Great, that takes one of the pieces out of the equation in the short term!

Plus, the SVT effect of this pre-amp isnt too horrible... I'd imagine probably rivals a BDDI anyway... after all, its made by Ampeg, even if it is SS.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Follow-Up:

Since my initial post, I've acquired a Crown XLS 402 Power Amp, and a 4ohm Aguilar GS410.

Last night was the first opportunity I had to play thru the GS410, & did so at practice last night.

The signal path went like this.
    Bass -> Ampeg BA115SP combo -> Crown power amp -> GS410.

The EQ on the combo pre was set to flat, using SVT emulation effect. I did cut the treble w/ the onboard preamp, and did increase the tweeter volume a little.

It's just too awkward to get it down to the basement. I only ended up driving it w/ one side of my Crown XLS402, which is rated at 400w @ 4ohms. I'll have to order some custom cables in order to bridge this power amp, tho I wont need to for a while, as I'm plenty loud now. Our lead guitarist is using a Peavey Classic 30, & he's having trouble cutting thru, the rhythm & keyboards.

I'm EXTREMELY happy with the tone this thing produces. Its thick, round, punchy & full, while maintaining good note definition.

The only down side to this cab, is its a pain in the ass to transport given my car situation. Getting TO practice took two trips, as I cant fit my combo AND the GS410 into the car. But, it did look kind of impressive having the combo & the aggie stacked.

This is going to make acquiring some sort of preamp, or DI to feed the Crown a priority. Once I'm able to do that, I should have no problem getting it all into the car.