Questions 2013 Epiphone Limited Edition TV Silver T-Bird IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassguitarthund, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Hi, been a long time since I've been here. Back in 2013, I bought a Limited Edition Epi T Tbird. I'm more of a J Bass guy but I always wanted a T Bird and fell in love with this TV Silver Bird. Anyway, it had become a case queen and I hardly ever played it because the action was a mile high, so to speak. I like the tone/sound just hard to play with the action so high.

I have always been nervous about doing much to my bass guitars, other than change strings, tune, and clean. I just don't want to screw something up. Well, I decided to tackle the action height on this bass. Put new strings on and adjusted the 3 point bridge down. The insert for the bolt on the treble side started pulling out. Did some research and glued it back in, hopefully, that will hold. I saw a Phillip McKnight youtube video where he used wood glue and wrapped the insert in a small piece of newspaper soaked in the glue. So you think this repair would be ok?

Also over the past years, the color changed from the light silver that I really liked to a green-tinted silver. Is this normal on this particular run of Epipiphones? I mean it doesn't look bad, it's a cool color but I liked the original shade better.

Thanks for reading this long post, lol. Piece.

2. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    Be and after pics would help.

3. Unfortunately, I did not think about taking any pics when the bridge insert had pulled halfway out before I glied it in. As for the color change, my phone does not take the best pics and does not do a good job capturing how it looks but I will give it a shot.

If this reply turns out right, the first two picks are the current look and the one with all the other bass guitars is an old pic I took shortly after I purchased the bass. The other pic is one from I think Reverb or Guitar Center of how it would of originally looked.

The bass has been stored in a room in my house in Michigan with AC and Heat so the climate/humidity should have been relatively stable.

Oh and thank you for the quick reply

P.S. the 3 point bridge is not on it as I want to let the glue dry for 24 hrs before restricting it.

Attached Files:

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Clear-coat yellowed making it green.
    I've seen it before.

5. Ok gotcha. I wonder why it did that. Is that normal?

6. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, happens all the time. I've seen Lake Placid Blue basses that are more green than blue...black can get a green tinge, too, red basses that look orange, and white basses that look like yellowed ivory piano keys.
    Check out the difference in color with the Antigua finish.
    Photo-Collage-1604270694873.jpg

7. Ok, thank you for clarifying that for me. I mean my bass doesn't look bad, actually looks better than the pic I took. I can definitely live with it. Thank you.

8. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're welcome.
    Dare to be different!

9. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    I've got the same bass, Usually use it for practice at home, but it got out for the first time yesterday after I received complaints the the other bass I'd used at the venue came across as "too bright." Amazingly the Leader thought the T-Bird was a Rickenbacker... go figure. The tone was exactly what was needed.

I suspect a couple of the luthiers would be able to confirm the fix, but it seems logical to me.

I was able tweak the action and neck to my liking and now the only thing I have to realize is that with this bass I need to wear the strap over the front of the bass to keep the body from conforming to my body... (Old man beer gut)

10. Haha, I also have that old man gear gut too.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    TheReceder likes this.
  11. Update, after letting the bass set overnight. About 20 hours or so, I reinstalled the bridge and strings. Started to tune it up to pitch, and the rear insert on the other side started pulling out. The side that I applied the wood glue and newspaper to held in place though. So now I have to start all over again, lol. Pulled the strings and bridge off and repeated the repair I did on the treble side to the bass side. I will let it sit overnight again. Hopefully, I should be good now.

12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    I used JB Weld on the inserts on the only EpiBird here that tried that stunt.
    Fixed it for good.

13. MCF likes this.
  14. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Limited Edition Epi bolt-ons are very nice Thunderbirds. I’m on the lookout for a TV Silver one to add to my flock.

Re gluing Epi inserts: Be very careful applying glue to the treble side; that is the side with the ground wire. Make sure the glue does not compromise the contact between the wire/insert and stud. I have used Titebond with success, but let it cure for days before reinstalling the bridge. Be patient.

Another tip is that, as a general rule (that some owners break with seemingly no issues), the front stud should be set a little higher than the two rear studs once the bridge is installed.

7ECB39BE-EBAA-4473-B617-C7A1729477BF.jpeg

An advantage to the bolt-ons is the ability to shim the neck if needed to get the action lower. My Limited Edition Silverburst Epi is shimmed and the action is at 4/64s measured at the 17th fret. I recommend using these when shimming:

A778C193-82DF-4438-BD5D-C63E5C1F5F29.jpeg

As @Engle said, check the Thunderbird Club for lots of info on all things Thunderbird. And questions are always welcome.

bassguitarthund likes this.
  15. I have a Limited in white, I've had to reglue the studs also but haven't required a neck shim. Nice low action, plays and sounds great, one of my favorites and gets gigged in regular rotation.

One oddity with mine, and I'd assume with the Limited's in general, is the pickups. They're what appear to be guitar humbucker covers with a bar type pickup inside, no pole pieces. Seem to be quite hot for passive pups but I haven't measured their output. I've searched and questioned here and my go to luthier has researched as well and no one seems to know anything about them. Seem to be unique to the Limiteds. Just wondering if anyone hete knows anything about them?

16. Thanks for the suggestion:thumbsup::bassist:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  17. Thank you for for the link. :bassist::)Got her figured out

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Engle likes this.
  18. Thanks for all the info!! :)
    I will definitely keep those shims in mind if I need them. Thank you.

I ended up glueing both inserts. I did notice the ground wire when I removed the insert the rest of the way, so I was extra careful with that. I did set the front of the bridge a little bit higher than the rear, thanks.

19. :thumbsup::bassist:
    I have not pulled the pickups out of mine yet.

20. Well Ladies and Gents, I ended up gluing both rear inserts on the bridge. I was careful not to use to much glue. It is holding and I'm rockin :bassist:

Thanks for all of your help with this. I will try and not be such a stranger this time. A few years is to long to be away from you all, lol ;)

Engle and Johnny Crab like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022