Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions about 1999 Fender American Std Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burgess, Aug 9, 2004.

1. I just plugged my girlfriend's 1999 American Std Jazz and was astonished at the excellent tone. Usually I play a Lakland 55-94, alternately an Aerodyne Jazz, anyway I have pretty damn good sound as is. This is good enough that I want to add it to the arsenal, even though the Lakland can do many of the same things, especially with the rear MM-style pup in split-coil mode. The Aerodyne sounds totally different despite the J pup in the bridge position. Typically I just use the P pup by itself since it sounds so much fuller and because it provides such an excellent P-Bass tone (which is the one Leo Fender type sound that the Lakland does not provide in spades). I A/B'd it with my friend's '69 P Bass and was *very* surprised at how close the two sounded. Anyway, about this Jazz... What I want to know is: (1) What sort of pickups are in this thing? The polepieces stick out a lot further than those on the Aerodyne's J pup. They also sound a whole lot better. Just using the bridge pup, the American Std Jazz has a richness of tone the Aerodyne simply cannot match using its own bridge J pup. It can't just be the wood and the construction quality, or can it? (2) What kind of wood is the body made from, and (3) are the graphite reinforcement rods in the neck the same as the ones that they use now (graphite tubes filled with maple doweling rather than the usual solid graphite bars). The bass is black, so I imagine that it is alder, but I really don't have any way to tell without removing the neck or some other componant so that I can see the grain of the wood. Anyone who has anwers to any of these questions please post.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    1) I want to say American Noiseless pickups, but I'm not sure. They use 'em now and have for a couple years, but it's been more than a couple years since 1999.
    2) Alder on solid finishes, ash on transparent.
    3) Not sure.

3. I can't offer tons more clarification, but as an owner of an identical bass (it seems), I'm more than sure that for (2), the body wood is Alder. For (1), however, the pickups are just the MIA passive jazz bass single-coil pickups. They are not noiseless as they are standard single-coils. The "Deluxe" lines carry the hum-cancelling pickups. This is all assuming everything is stock.

FYI, I have a 1999 Fender MIA Jazz Bass in black with a rosewood board. Such a great bass, I love it to death.

Now, the pickup differences notwithstanding, the Aerodyne has a basswood body, while the MIA Jazz Bass (in a solid finish) has the alder body. That too may attribute to the tonal differences that you hear.

4. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    same here, i got a sunburst maple fingerboard 2000 American standard jazz bass, and it sounds just Great! Its all stock, and that's the way she's going to be until the end... i think those series ('99 00 etc.) are really great instruments, like fender used to do

5. I have a MIA 2000 Jazz. My is a solid color in alder and rosewood fingerboard.

I concur. It is a great bass. I love it. I don't think that they have the noise-less pups.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's a small world, I'm about to put away a burnt orange American Jazz with the S-1 switch. That little switch gives the Jazz just the right amount of extra flexibility. I really love the punchy souond it get when the pickups are put in parallel wiring.