Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions about 8x10s, 4x10s, SWR IOD, SVTs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, May 30, 2002.

1. Okay, I love the sound of an Ampeg SVT going through 8x10s, but I don't need the weight, power, or expense that comes along with that type of tone. Would a SVTIII and a 4x10 give me that great overdriven growl? Also, I was interested in the SWR IOD until I heard a sound file... it sounded okay, but the only overdrive I heard out of it sounded like that farty razor blade distortion I don't like. Is this the only kind of distortion is capable of? I'm intersted in overdrive as a part of my tone rather than an effect... I'd rather have more subtle overdrive then extreme distortion (which I don't mind). Help!

by the way, my ideal tone is somewhere in between Jack Bruce (marshall 4x12s, of course), D'arcy (custom shop jazz through an Ampeg SVT, enclosed 8x10s), and Colin Greenwood (70s Precision through an alembic preamp w/ 8x10s). If you know of an amp that can cover those types of sounds, please recommend some.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the IOD can have as much or as little overdrive as you want - and still keep as much or as little bottom in there as you want. anywhere from the "razor-blade" to subtle grit that is dynamic sensitive.

if you're interested in it, go to www.swrsound.com and read the IOD manual, it gives a good idea of all the tones available.

it'd give you a much better overdrive tone than an SVT3, which doesn't have powertubes. the IOD does.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you buy the "Classic" series Ampeg 4-10 and shut off the tweeter you have half of their 8-10. It has a very similar tone, not quite as massive due to fewer drivers. You can use two 4-10 to get the full effect but easier to cart around.

The SVT-III (and the SVT-IV and SVT-V for that matter) does have the overall flavor of the all tube SVT but like the cabinet it's not eaxctly the same. The solid state power amp doesn't color the tone the way the tube power amp does.

Get to an Ampeg dealer and try both heads with both cabinets using YOUR bass and see what YOU think.

As far as the SWR, it's an expensive unit and you still need a power amp...you might as well just get the SVT.