Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about a Fretless GT-7

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by quatre03, Oct 9, 2004.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm considering defretting my conklin GT-7 after i get a GTBD-7 and i just want to make sure that the purpleheart neck will stand up to a set of roundwounds without any severe damage, and will the purpleheart be enough to create a good fretless tone.

ps i plan on replacing the preamp(Aguilar odp) and bridge(amd) on both the GT-7 and GTBD-7

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91638&highlight=conklin
    i read this forum, but i didnt think it answered the question. :help: :bassist:

2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Are you wondering about the neck or the fingerboard? I recently sold a stock GT-7 fretless with a purple heart neck. It had a phenolic fingerboard though and it was strung with roundwounds. Everything held up fine. Good plan about changing the preamp. I was going to do the same but never got around to it.

I also replaced the bridge with an ABM to allow for a little bit wider of a string spacing. The only thing I had to do was grind down the bottom of the string saddles so I could get the action low enough for a fretless.

Bud

3. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    very cool thanks :cool:

Im also going to have a ramp put on it

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    As in "Gary Willis Ibanez signature model" ramp?

Now that I've thought about it abit I think the neck on my GT-7 fretless was actually wenge and purple heart.

Bud