1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about a Fretless GT-7

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by quatre03, Oct 9, 2004.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm considering defretting my conklin GT-7 after i get a GTBD-7 and i just want to make sure that the purpleheart neck will stand up to a set of roundwounds without any severe damage, and will the purpleheart be enough to create a good fretless tone.

ps i plan on replacing the preamp(Aguilar odp) and bridge(amd) on both the GT-7 and GTBD-7

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91638&highlight=conklin
    i read this forum, but i didnt think it answered the question. :help: :bassist:

2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Are you wondering about the neck or the fingerboard? I recently sold a stock GT-7 fretless with a purple heart neck. It had a phenolic fingerboard though and it was strung with roundwounds. Everything held up fine. Good plan about changing the preamp. I was going to do the same but never got around to it.

I also replaced the bridge with an ABM to allow for a little bit wider of a string spacing. The only thing I had to do was grind down the bottom of the string saddles so I could get the action low enough for a fretless.

Bud

3. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    very cool thanks :cool:

Im also going to have a ramp put on it

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    As in "Gary Willis Ibanez signature model" ramp?

Now that I've thought about it abit I think the neck on my GT-7 fretless was actually wenge and purple heart.

Bud