1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about a mod (J/P Hybrid)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by matius88, Jul 24, 2012.

1. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    well, hello guys, im trying to make a mod of my california squier jazz bass (because i have a fretless jazz bass and i want to make the squier more usefull).

my idea is to put a Precision pickup in the neck and change the jazz pickup in the bridge for a new one.

currently i have 2 tone controls (the bass is just like i buy it i don't modify anything) is this a problem? i need to get more controls for controlling the pickups? .

what do you think about the mod?, its viable? what kind of configuration (electronics) you will do if you are modding like this? (what kind of routing you will do?, add tonal controls, volume controls, switch's, Active or passive pickups? (i like the passive's, but i want another point of view)).

thanks for all!
    :hyper:

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    You have a volume for each pickup and a master tone right now.

Otherwise it's pretty easy to do a PJ on a Jazz body. The pick guard will cover the routing, you just need to find a jazz bass pick guard cut for a precision pickup.

Also, I suggest getting a set of pickups that are meant for each other. I played a PJ with fender noiseless pups today and it sounded great!

EDIT: and the current controls (VVT) work just fine for a PJ setup. Might put new pots and jack in if the current ones are not of very high quality, though.