Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions about a used Fender reissue jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spc, Nov 5, 2004.

1. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Thought you folks might be able to help. A local music shop has what is supposed to be a fender jazz bass stack knob reissue. How do I know it's authentic? It is sunburst, stack knob (the tone knobs "click" if you know what I mean), has the fender logo on the headstock face, big tuners with no brand name, and the neck plate has a v number but doesn't say Fender on it. The things a bit beat, but he is asking a reasonable price ($600), but I just want to make sure it is what he says it is.
    Thanks for any help!

2. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    play it and see, if its sweet and looks the part and works then buy it, shouldn't worry about it too much, probably is real.it's all about how it plays dude!!! :bassist:

you could always whip the neck off and have a look or just check serial no on web?

Dodge :bassist:

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Reissue does not say fender on the neckplate. Vxxxxx number only.
    Look at the fender decal on the headstock, it should be stuck ontop of the finish, not under the clearcoat.
    The neck should have sort of an amber tint to it. Not light colored like a "regular" fender.
    No name is on the tuners, but they should turn backward from what is normal.
    If the shop guy would take off the neck for you, the date will be written in pencil.

$600 bucks is a great deal.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    The decal is on top of the finish, I noticed that earlier and thought it looked wrong...thanks for the info!

5. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    what is the serial number

6. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I can stop in to check, but I think it was v11xxx, (should have written it down)

7. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    From the serial number this is a 1983/84 vintage reissue - some of the best quality basses made by Fender - just ask the guys on the fender forum and they'll tell you

BUY THIS BASS IMMEDIATELY

If you don't please tell me the dealer selling the bass and I'll buy it have it shipped here to England, pay the shipping the VAT and the duty and i'll still have a bargain priced bass.

BUT THAT BASS!

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The date on my stack-knob 1989 '62 Reissue Jazz 'Mary Kay' is not written in pencil, it has a red stamp on the neck and in the neck pocket on the body.
    Just an FYI..

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    A V11xxxx serial# is from the mid-1990's. It is not from the 1980's.
    To be from the 80's it would still have to be in the V01 range.

zombywoof,
    My '84 and '97 62RI Jazzes both have penciled dates.

10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    My 1989 is V03xxxx, and the neckplate is gold as was all the other hardware. Note that I say 'was' because the bass no longer has gold hardware, except for the original neckplate, and the see-thru blond finish and stack knobs are long gone too. :bawl: (if I'd known then what I know now)

I believe you.
    Perhaps mine was stamped because it was a limited edition model?

11. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    v11xxx

You seem to have an x missing:-

1. If the number is 6 digits its a recent bass and not worth as much as if it was:-

2. a 5 digit number, ignoring zeros before numbers

12. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Going to the shop tomorrow, the owner is doing a set up for me. I'll check the serial # out and post it, now I'm really really curious....Thanks for your help dudes...

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Take a good long look at the neck and truss rod.

MY VRI had the rod maxxed out and the action couldn't quite make factory spec...next step would have been a neck press job.

This is a common problem since the necks are REAL thin and there's no extra reinforcement like on current Js.

$600 is a good price regardless of year of production.