1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about a used Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mwm70, Apr 24, 2006.

1. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    I joined the Warwick club yesterday by picking up a Passive Corvette Standard at G.C. Got it for $600 with a Rockbag and 2 sets of DR Highbeams. Great shape aside from some hand crud at the front pickup.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some help with a couple of questions:

Are the last 2 digits stamped on the back of the headstock the year it was made? (A-104017-04)

Were there a variety of different finishes used that year?

There were the strap side sections of strap locks in the bag without the body buttons. They are stamped "Warwick", will Dunlop or any other manufacture's buttons work with these?
    I have a set of Schallers, but the screw in the existing warwick button is to big for the Scahller.

Thanks for any help.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Congrats! Hope you'll enjoy yours! :cool:

Yours is from January 2004. (A=Jan)

Not really. Natural or coloured oil finish, or satin or high-gloss has been the selection for years, with most of the bubinga-bodied basses being nat. oil + wax (sure, it's nicer :D )

Hopefully. They used to use Dunlop flush-mount straplocks back in the early days, but I'm not sure.
    Mine has normal strap buttons, though.

3. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Thanks Frank.

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You're welcome ;)

OH BTW Welcome to the W club! :cool:

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Welcome to the club! Keep her waxed up!:)

6. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Thanks, any advice on cleaning the body to get rid of the slight discoloration (sweat+dirt) at the front p.u.?

My guitar player (who graduated from Roberto Venn School of Luthiery), said I could strip the oil with 000 steel wool and then re-oil. If anyone has found something that removes hand crud without doing this I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Steel wool!?!:eek:

I would NOT suggest you use steel wool on your bass. That's a very BAD idea. Just keep it wiped down with a soft cloth if you sweat that much, and be sure and wax it often. If you keep it waxed, you won't have to worry about the sweat damaging your the wood. And to answer your questions, yes the "04" signifies that it was produced in 2004. And no, there weren't a variety of finishes standard. All corvette standards are bubinga, unless otherwise specified upon ordering. I talked to the Warwick distributor here in the states about it, and he told me that color stains don't work well with bubinga so they don't do it. Hope this helps, good luck!

DW

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    He isn't worried about his sweat and dirt, he is trying to get rid of some sweat and dirt from the previous player that has found itself down in the finish and discoloring stuff.

Theres nothing wrong with 000 steel wool on a bass. Its used quite often actually.

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    *during construction and (re)finishing.

If it's really badly discoloured, then I'd take it apart and sand lightly with 0000 steel wool (untill it disappears); then wipe it down, apply a couple of oil coats, and finally wax. Should be looking as good as new.
    However, if it's not that bad, just take a dry cloth and buff it: there's a chance it's only stuck into the wax or the upper layers of the oil finish. Then wax.

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Right, which is what hes doing. At least to that one small spot.

But yeah, mwm70 ,listen to what he said. Thats what should be done.

11. I have nothing to add to the previous posts.

But WELCOME to the warwick club!!

12. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Thanks for the replies, I have tried rubbing the area with a clean terry cloth rag and it did remove some of the discoloration, (this along with the location leads me to believe it is dirt and sweat).

Sorry about the noob questions, I have never owned an oiled finished bass before. I have one more though :D:

What type of wax and how often should it be applied?

Thanks again.

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    W sells a wax for their basses, the new ones come with them.
    Just follow the instructions on the can.
    Once a month or every two months is enough.