1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about AV 62 Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikekim, May 5, 2010.

1. mikekim

mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    CA
    To be honest, I never really cared about the feel or tone of Fender basses too much. That is, until I watched this. I love Guy Pratt's tone in that video; it's ridiculous. Suddenly, I want a stack knob jazz... I was wondering if when properly set-up, modern American Standar Jazz basses can dial that sound, but then I discovered the American Vintage 62, which is much more appealing to me due to the 7.25 radius (and other smaller details, but the radius more than anything).

I'm more of a Musicman type of guy, but that woody, aggressive tone in the video is killing me. Does anybody have any experience with the American Vintage models? Can they sound like the real vintage Fenders (more specifically, like the one in the video)? Also, I know that the the new American Standards from 2008 onwards are quite different than the older ones, does the same apply to the AV 62?

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Ha, cool video. That's the real deal, not a reissue.

That actually sounds pretty thin to me...maybe it's his amp settings...

The AV RI is actually beefier sounding than that from my experiences.

3. mikekim

mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    CA
    I know it's a real stack knob. I just don't have that much money to spend on a bass, and The AV RI seemed the closest I could get in my budget :smug:

In an intervew, he said "I’ve never been a big fan of amps so I’ve used what colours the bass the least. I always DI with lots of compression. Guitar players like to hear the sound of the amp but with bass you just want the sound of the bass guitar – maybe with just a hint of valve warmth in it". Full intervew here.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ri's do sound beefier. theres so much variation in how hot pickups were wound back then, that sounds pretty representative of a precbs jazz ime. my ballsiest old jazz i ever had was a 66. i actually put a duncan antiquity 2 in the neck position of my slab 62 because the stock pickup was wound so low.

5. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    The room is playing into the tone your hearing. It just sounds like a Jazz Bass. He's leaning on and playing over the bridge pickup.

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    my recent purchase of a '62RI jazz has changed my life as a bass player! forget the beautiful tone,.. the thing practically plays itself.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    on top of my previous comment, I might add...

I play a 62 RI that is Crafted in Japan with Fralin PU's and the CTS pots/cloth wiring/etc. it really thumps. Sounds much THICKER than what the guy on the video is playing. It also has the standard jazz configuration...

I've been tempted to get a stack knob control plate - they go for around $90 fully assembled. Regardless, the bass itself w/ PU's installed only cost me around $600 when I bought it used on Ebay...might be something to consider if your money is tight.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's important to note that the reissue (technically, they're American Vintage Series) stack-knob Jazz basses do NOT have the bridging resistors in the control circuit that the original ones had. The resistors do two things- one is to prevent the tone controls from interacting, but they also reduce the overall gain. Many folks think that's what Jaco was talking about when he said the stack-knobs didn't have the "punch" of the later V/V/T set up.

John

9. mikekim

mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    CA
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

Spinal Tapper: I thought about that too... or building my own with the Fender Custom 60's pickups. But the finishes on the new Fenders look so nice, and having recently gotten a Stingray Classic, I don't want anything over 7.5" radius.

JTE: So they essentially sound different? Everyone said the new RIs sound beefier or thicker. Does this mean they sound bassier, more rounded, but with less bite/aggressiveness?

10. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I too am curious about the tonal differences between the original stack-knob Jazzes (with the bridging resistors), the standard VVT, and the newer stack-knob without the resistors. Are the latter two pretty much the same tone-wise?

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My 62RI stack knob Jazz is very biting and edgy sounding. The two RI I had, have the same edgy characteristics.

The oldest Jazz I have is a '69, and they are completely different, yes more woody.

12. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    CdK, do you think the stack knob on a 62RI would sound more biting and edgy compared to the same bass with a VVT? Just curious.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I too like stack-knob Jazz basses.

The AV 62 are nice.
    They play great.
    I prefer Lollar 60's pickups, in Fenders.

Lakland USA JO, are super nice to. (stack knob)
    But they should be for $3000.

I list for a USA JO, with a Glaub profile neck.

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No. It's not the stack knob setup.

To me the major part is the wood.