Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about building a custom

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AngryArgentine, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Hey I'm planning on getting a custom bass built. I wanted to know out of these manufacturers which one makes the best active pickups, price is not a concern:
    Bartolini, Seymour Duncan, Aero, EMG, Razor
    Also, who makes the best bridges?
    HipShot, ABM, Gotoh, Schaller, and Leo Quann
    And best tuners
    Hipshot, Schaller, Gotoh
    Also, I was wondering what kind of wood I should use for the body, I was thinking of an exotic wood for the body, and since i only play fretless, ebony for the fingerboard. Thanks a lot!
    -Julian

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    As to the pickups, it is a matter of your personal preference. Each brand has different characteristics. I like Barts, with EMG's coming in second.
    Bridges: There again, what do you want?? I prefer ABM bridges, but I also like Hipshot Style A bridges as well. But the others make good bridges, too. It is up to you.

Tuners: I like Hipshot Ultralights. But again, check em all out.

Woods: Do some research!! What kind of sound do you want your bass to have?? Every wood has different tonal qualities. I(we) can't tell you what kind of wood to make the body out of if you don't state how you want your bass to sound (Bright, warm, growling mids, etc.) I do agree with ebony for the fretboard on a fretless though.

This is YOUR custom bass. It has to be thought out very carefully, so you don't end up regretting half of your choices. Use your search engines and find out what components (including the wood) will work best for YOU.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Yeah what Ryan said.

There is no "best" pickup or "best" bridge. You could ask four different people which is the best pickup and get four different answers. That is why there are so many different choices, because different people like different sounds.

4. Another strategy would be to consider what your goals are with this instrument. Think about everything from tonal quality to appearance to weight. What sound do you want to get from this instrument? Loads of sustain? Upright vibe? If you want a coated fretboard, it doesn't matter as much what fretboard wood you use. Neck thru? Why? Do you want to have a "Swiss Army Knife" of tone or do you want to REALLY nail the Jaco thing?

Once you answer these (and many other) questions, the choices are narrowed and become clearer. This is your bass - know what you want it to do. Just putting together "the best" components will not accomplish anything except getting you a instrument that is based on someone else's opinion.

Good Luck!!
    Jeff

5. Thanks A lot guys! I look into it!