Questions about buying from a small music shop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Aug 5, 2004.

1. OK guys, here's what I'm basically trying to figure out. Tomorrow, I'm going to this little shack in NJ called "Pianos Plus" to buy a Yorkville XM200. The amp, from what I hear around here, and a brief experience playing with it, is great. But now that I've talked with my folks a bit, they are a little concerned that even if I will get a cheaper price ($400, $399.99 techically) that a small music shop like that can take away my cash and I won't be able to do anything about it if there's some sort of problem. I've talked with friends a little, and they say that so long as you have a warranty from the manufacturer (which will replace the item if damaged etc) and a reciept (so I can return it if it grows on me the WRONG way) that I should get by fine.

I've talked with the guy who runs the business and told him I was interested in it for a tone and volume upgrade, and he basically said "sure, bring over your drummer and jam loud for a while." It didn't seem like I'd have to worry about getting ripped off, but I'm still wondering.

Any Precautions you guys think i should take with buying from small instrument shops?

Also, what about them being a registered dealer?
  2. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I think getting the amp is a go. If it has a warranty, is cheaper, and you got the recept, then I would definitly get it. I like buying from smaller stores because the customer service there is usually much better.
  3. The reciept would usually allow me to return it though, right? I don't know if I'm going to get shafted with the "all sales are final" BS
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If the amp doesn't work, then the warranty will cover you. If you change your mind and don't like the amp, then you are out of luck at most stores.

What is the worry that you are trying address?
  5. just the entire process of returning things on warranty, dealing with the amp potentially burning up. probably also seeing if i truly like it. but yea, I'm going to check to see if it's a one time deal and if i like it
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It is always good to buy from a small local shop. These people are getting KILLED in the marketplace by monsters like Guitar Center, Mars Music, and others. I am proud to say that all 6 of the basses I currently own and all my amps (even the vintage one) were bought from local stores (one large local store has since sold out to a big conglomerate). Keep the profits in your community don't sell out to the big corporate shops.

The manufacturer will stand by the warrantee when you have a receipt.
  7. as far as superstores, If I even get the chance to go, I really only buy strings and the occasional straps. The few local stores that I have around me are pretty useless for any bass instruments. this store I consider long distance.

Philbass, does it matter if they're registered as a dealer? I didn't see anything on Yorkville's website, but the store says they're a carrier of yorkville products (they got some PA equipment and an amp).
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Buy it from the small shop, he'll never get enough bizness to support his products properly, if he can't get bizness,,, right?
  9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Look at Yorkville's warranty and see what it says. If it says that the unit must be purchased by an approved dealer, then call Yorkville see if this dealer is approved.

Often what happens is that the shop doesn't deal with the manufacturer directly. There is a distributor that buys in bulk from the manufacturer and sells in smaller lot sizes to the dealers. This is certainly allowed by many manufacturers and would explain why Yorkville doesn't have this shop listed.
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'd be far LESS worried about getting my warranty honoured at a small shop than at a superstore. The customer service is usually a hundred times better at a small store on a bad day.

In most cases, the smaller store's staff will be nicer and more knowledgeable. The guy you are talking to may even be the shop owner, in which case he has the authority to make deals.
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I agree. I would much rather deal with a small shop than a superstore. In fact, I generally do. I find that small stores are much more capable of satisfying your specific needs. They will often times have much more knowledgeable people helping you than the superstores.
  12. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Before I bought the guitar store I own now, I worked for Mars Music (puking smilie anyone?). In my experience, it is WAAAAAAAAAAAY easier for me to take care of a warranty issue than it is for a big chain like Mars. There is so much red tape and middle management bullcrap to deal with when it comes to getting anything done in a chain store. Plus the people who run those stores (for the most part) aren't players...they are money makers. So getting them to do anything that will possibly cost them money is like pulling teeth. A local store is a bit more likely to realize that more is at stake than the 'bottome line.'

Anytime there is a warranty issue at my shop it's easy. You leave the item with me, I call the company, ship it to them, they fix it and ship it back OR they ship me a new one (which is usually what I try to get them to do). If I have the same model on my sales floor, I'll usually just give the customer that one while, I deal with the company. No filling out a ton of paper work and asking a million questions about "Are you sure it's broken? Are you sure you didn't drop it or something?" I'm sure that most small shops around the country do things the same way I do.

Remember, it's about you as the customer. However, even if the store lets you down, Yorkville won't.
  13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    As long as you have the paperwork to back yourself up, definitely go with the small store, particularly if the owner seems like he cares about his clientele. If he wants to stay in business, he'll take care of you as best he can.
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I alway buy from small, when I can.
    More likely to move goods.
    Better service.
    Can make better cash deals.
    Sometimes they don't know what they have?
    Works in buyers favor.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Buy small, buy small! I try to buy everything at a small local store, and I've spent less than $150 CAD at superstores (which was Steve's Music -- and there's only three of 'em!). At the really small store here in Napanee, I've bought $130 in strings, $120 on a Badass II, a $50 Ritter gigbag (not Ritter-ritter, but the big company Ritter), and my mom spent something like $500 total on both my first bass and amp from there. The owner there treats me very well -- the bag should've been 60, and then tax, but he didn't charge me the additional $10, or the tax, and he doesn't charge me tax on Thomastik strings. I bought my other amp (Yorkville 100B) from a larger local store in Kingston for $150 and $250 on Basslines pickups, and my fretless Yammy for $500 from another Kingston local store, where I also take lessons and buy all my books from. The fretless was damaged when it came into my possession, and the store took care of it right away. Finally, the Aguilar preamp (just a little less than list price) was bought from a very small store that was expanding into a larger space downtown Kingston. Service over the phone there was kinda spotty, 'cause they had JUST moved in when I took my business there, but they were always a pleasure to deal with in person. I bought a Digitech BP50 from Steve's Music Store for $135.

Oh, and I bought a Stanley Clarke book from an L&M in Toronto.