Questions about cats and other things

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    *why does my cat roll on her back through the sand in my garden? Is she scratching her back? Asking attention? Removing bugs? What the hell is she doing?

*how does a cat purr?

*can cats see colours?

*how do I turn an associal cat (she very rarely sits on my lap for instance) into a social one? Do's and don'ts?

*why does a plastic bottle shrinks if I pour boiling water in it?

*You've probably seen the Evanescence video "Going Under". At some point in the vid, Amy Lee (the singer) dives under water, and sings, although her clothes and hair clearly indicate that she is under water! How do they do that?

Also, on a local tv channel, commercial breaks start and stop with girls swimming under water, while opening their mouth!

Same question.
  2. I don't know about in sand, but I've always taken it to mean asking for attention or just stretching.
    I am unaware as to the physiological explanation of the cat's purr. I believe most all cats have the ability to purr.
    I believe the answer is yes, but are either too stupid to care or just plain old don't care.
    I would just imagine being nice to them is cool. Don't hold them on your lap against their will.
    William Shatner is a piece of work.
    Ricky Martin did this too. They may both be magic.
    Maybe they're all magic. Or banging Ricky Martin.
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    whenever a cat rolls on his/her back it is to show you that she is comfortable with you, or she is showing you that she full trusts you.

purring i beleive has something to do with breathing, cause my cat purrs louder when she is running around and breathing heavy.

i dont think they can, but you never know.

i only had one anti social cat, it was hard to get him to do anything. every other cat ive had was very social.

ive never seen a plastic water bottle shrink because of hot water, but hey ive never done it so i dont know

people can open their mouths up while underwater, most of it is just speical effects in theose videos.
  4. Per the Straight Dope re: cat color blindness:
    Lot's of cool cat info here: