Questions about: Chapman stick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    So in november i'll 15 and insted of getting a motor bike or something like other then i'm thinking about getting a chapman stick, i'm a total newbie to tapping but i'm able to play some faster line and have now understood how fun it really is, thanks to stu hamm.

I found out that they are pretty expensive so i'll probably pay half off it with the the money i get form delivering newspaper...

The worst thing is that i live in sweden, i guess there's no way that
    i can try a stick before buying it, i know it's a huge risc due to the price but if i like then it's well worth it.

Is there any other cheaper instruments that are like sticks? If so that could be an option.

And how 'bout the pickups?

Stickup™ standard stereo humbucking module
    ACTV-2™ Block™ active EMG pickup module (pricing details)
    PASV-4™ Block™ passive Villex pickup module (pricing details)

You could always tell me about the woods aswell..

Also, i would probably be the only one in my city that owns/plays a stick and probably one one of the few in whole sweden who owns/plays one..

That would be cool, but that's not the reason i want it.

Also how about strings? Is it something like 8string is better for the beginner and switch over to more strings later?

Do you buy the sticks straight from the factory?

Maybe i should just stick with my bass guitar and buy a stick later if needed but i guess it's good to start at an early age...
  2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Not true! There's a very active northern European tapping community centered around Daniel Schell. Try here or here as a place to start. However, there may not be a lot of Stick players, as the Chapmans seem to be sociopaths. (And now I will be sued.)

The only "inexpensive" (it's all relative) tapping instruments are the Megatar and the ADG; I believe that Box guitars are having some kind of introductory special. You could always get an inexpensive 6 or 7 (Cort!) string bass, and have it set up for tapping. I did it with a Brice and am pretty happy with it.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've played a couple sticks and I really liked them. I'd still like to pick one up sometime.

In your case I'd recommend going with the cheapest used stick you can find. That way you can get an idea what it feels like and what the "ordinary" sound of it is, and if you get good enough to use it a lot you can then upgrade without having lost much money. I'd also recommend finding an NS stick if you can since they're very close to a bass guitar and can actually function as an eight stringer when necessary, but don't limit yourself to that either.
  4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
  5. You should include Warr Guitars within your current scope.

Sometimes, you can even find them on Ebay. I know someone was selling an 11-string fretless at an incredibly low price not too long ago.

Good luck!!!