1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

questions about college adutions

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by bfitz, Jan 14, 2006.

1. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    i will have the chance to audition for a local college in the next few months and i am trying to decide what would be apropriate. the college requires two solos, scales, and sight reading. the first time that i auditioned for a college i played die meistersinger by wagner. since then my playing has gotten better and i would like to try to prepare something a little harder for my second solo. i have listened to the clips from mark morton's new c.d. and i am thinking about trying kousseuitsky's concerto, op.3 (i'm not sure how to write that, i think that is correct). i know that this is mostly thumb position and i was wondering if that would be okay along with the wagner peice? also, with the scales, is it better to play one or two octaves? i have been out of school for a while and although i did get accepted to the first college i never went because of some problems with money. i have spoken to the head of the department who is working on schedueing a tour of the campus and a lesson with there string department but untill then i was just looking for some general advice. thank you for any help.

2. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    You may think of a different combination of pieces. Both the S.K. Concerto and Wagner are very "Romantic" style pieces. You might consider a Mozart symphony "classical time period" or a "Early Romantic" Beethoven. These will show contrasting styles. Mozart Bass Symphony Numbers are: 35,39,40 (1st and 4th movement),41. (With 35 and 40 being the most popular.) Beethoveen: 5 (1st and 3rd movement) and 9 (last movement.)

Two octaves would show more skill, so I would go with that.

Good luck, I am playing the Beethoven and really enjoy it!

3. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    the Capuzzi Concerto in F is also really good for that kind of thing. If your audition is soon, you'd be able to get it down much quicker than the koussevitzky (it's a lot harder than it sounds) but it's still a nice musical piece. When I learned it I got it to performance level in like 3 months. Just my 2 cents.

4. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    thanks for the replies. also, i have lookied on lemur music and found a couple of peices but where does everyone else look for there music?

5. Lemur usually has what I need. There's also Yorke and Ludwin.