questions about college adutions

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by bfitz, Jan 14, 2006.

1. bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    i will have the chance to audition for a local college in the next few months and i am trying to decide what would be apropriate. the college requires two solos, scales, and sight reading. the first time that i auditioned for a college i played die meistersinger by wagner. since then my playing has gotten better and i would like to try to prepare something a little harder for my second solo. i have listened to the clips from mark morton's new c.d. and i am thinking about trying kousseuitsky's concerto, op.3 (i'm not sure how to write that, i think that is correct). i know that this is mostly thumb position and i was wondering if that would be okay along with the wagner peice? also, with the scales, is it better to play one or two octaves? i have been out of school for a while and although i did get accepted to the first college i never went because of some problems with money. i have spoken to the head of the department who is working on schedueing a tour of the campus and a lesson with there string department but untill then i was just looking for some general advice. thank you for any help.
  2. Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    You may think of a different combination of pieces. Both the S.K. Concerto and Wagner are very "Romantic" style pieces. You might consider a Mozart symphony "classical time period" or a "Early Romantic" Beethoven. These will show contrasting styles. Mozart Bass Symphony Numbers are: 35,39,40 (1st and 4th movement),41. (With 35 and 40 being the most popular.) Beethoveen: 5 (1st and 3rd movement) and 9 (last movement.)

Two octaves would show more skill, so I would go with that.

Good luck, I am playing the Beethoven and really enjoy it!
  3. JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    the Capuzzi Concerto in F is also really good for that kind of thing. If your audition is soon, you'd be able to get it down much quicker than the koussevitzky (it's a lot harder than it sounds) but it's still a nice musical piece. When I learned it I got it to performance level in like 3 months. Just my 2 cents.
  4. bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    thanks for the replies. also, i have lookied on lemur music and found a couple of peices but where does everyone else look for there music?
  5. Lemur usually has what I need. There's also Yorke and Ludwin.