Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about D'addario Slowounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jun 2, 2001.

1. I've been thinking of trying these strings.. Right now I have some Ernie's on, and I've been pretty happy with them, but I want to experiment a little. I have just a few questions.

How is the tension of these strings compared to Ernies?

I play rock, funk, metal, punk, and sometimes jazz. Would thse strings be suited for these styles?

What do the sound best with, Fingerstyle, pick or slapping?

Any other comments you have about them?

Thanks everyone!:)

2. You don't have to answer all of these questions..Any input would be appreciated.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm a D'Addario fan and I hated the Slowwounds. They sounded dead to me. I tried the 6 string set and a four string medium gauge set on an AmJazz and Alembic 6. Some people love these strings, however, so maybe I got some bad ones.

4. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    slowwounds are the only strings that i've tried from D'Addario, and i have to say that i hated them. i put them on my warwick 5 stringer for about 10 min, then put my ernie ball flats back on.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If I'm not mistaken, Munjibunga thinks Slowounds are like the best strings in the universe, or something like that. I haven't tried them, but search this forum and you'll find lots of comments on Slowounds.

6. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Ya, what's wrong with you people? Where are all the slowound fanatics when you need em?? Seriously though, I really like the slowound 6's. The tapered B makes a big difference in clarity. I loved the sound when I first got the strings but was disappointed when they died after a month or so. Now, after 3 months(I think?) I'm again happy with their sound.
    I can't compare them with the Ernie Balls, but compared to D'Addario XL's, they are much more defined and consistent with pleasant overtones. I think you'd have no problem playing different types of music with these strings, but you have to consider your bass too. With my bass and the slowounds, I'd have a tough time playing dub reggae or upright-ish jazz because the nickel roundwounds still have a bunch of highs. Also, I don't know how "slapable" slowounds are. At first they were very slapable, but now I have to pound them to get a slap sound. However, I have acidic sweat; you might get different results. Bottom line: try them!
    Am I long-winded or what?! :D

7. Well, I was either thinking of getting the Slowounds or DR Low-riders. I would like to know which would be the best so I don't have to spend alot of money (I'm a broke 13 year old). Thanks.

do they make slowounds with a .110 E??

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hhhmmm! Interesting!

I have SloWounds on my Modulus right now...I absolutely love them. They're TOTALLY dead (I usually kill strings in about 2 weeks, but these have been on for close to 4 months), but they still sound killer, which every other string I've had hasn't.

They have a definite break in period. Mine took about 5 days, but that's like a couple 2 weeks for most people.

They are pretty mellow strings, but I can't use super bright strings on my Modulus...can you say TINNY?! They work great on this bass. However, I did not like them on my Ibanez, but I loved them on my fretless. Go figure.

They are great strings, if you can get over the light guages. The heaviest is 45-105(-130). It's too light for what I'm used to, but I'm trying to deal with it, since I love their tone. No matter how dead they are, they still sound awesome. I just wish I could get them in 50-135.

I will try something different next, though. Not sure what, yet.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like slowounds too, Ive used them in rock, country, pop/top-40, and they even sounded good doing some jazzy type stuff. They sound very good for slap/pop bass as well. They sound nice and crisp and last a bit longer than GHS, Fender, Peavey, and a few others Ive tried, I get about 3 weeks out of them before I feel like they are dead. At the 3 week period I feel they dont get a good slap tone to them, and thats when I usually change them. They also imo sound best when finger picked, too tinny sounding if I use a pick on them. Give them a shot, you may like them.

10. I've played most every string out there, well certainly a large number of them, and Slowounds are my favourite roundwound string.I dont slap (I hate that stuff)and I dont play with a pick, but I do play classic rock, jazz, latin, blues, country, pop, irish and jewish(!) I like them from new, and they dont go dead on me for about four months, and I find they are still useable even when dead. I prefer them to others because I feel they have a character and sweetness that is lacking in most other strings. I have a very non-corrosive body ph factor, which means my strings last a long time.

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I had Slowwounds on my Roscoe Beck 5 for awhile and I liked them a lot.I would buy them again if they were in stock when I went string shopping. But I wouldn't wait to order them though.