Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions about defretting...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by no4mk1, Jun 9, 2003.

1. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    O.K., I have searched the forums and found out how to do this procedure, but I still have some questions.

I have an old Peavey Fury that I want to defret. It is my backup bass, and does not get played that often, but it has an excellent neck, and plays very nice.

I have serious GAS for a fretless, but cannot afford one (especially after just buying my new G&L L2000 in December). The Peavey seems like an ideal vehicle to work through my GAS attack.

It is a precision style bass, but the neck is 1.5" at the nut and is cut like an old Jazz. The finger board is rosewood, and the pickups are standard EMGs that I installed in '90.

Should I expect any setup problems from defretting? I intend to put wood inlays in place of the frets.

Should I expect any radical tone change?

Basically, I am looking for anybody's "D*&n I wish I knew that before I started" stories.

Thanks a lot,
    Chris

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    The only setup problems that I can think of would be that you will need to lower the action once you are finished. But this is not a big concern at all, IMO.

3. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Allright! A buddy of mine that went to luthier school helped me defret my '85 Peavey Fury. We got the frets out without a problem (we used some nippers that we ground down). I used some mahogony veneer that I bought at a local wood shop... It looks fantastic against the highly figured brazillian rosewood! I sanded it down, and gave it a nice hand-rubbed boild linseed oil finish. I spent the last hour doing the setup and getting the intonation perfect.

It turned out great! Sounds and plays like a dream. Right now I have a set of DR fatbeams on it, but I am going to pick up some TI flats tomorrow (and then do the setup again).

It's like a completely new bass!

Cheers,
    Chris

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Yeah, that is what is so great about defreting an old instrument. You can just feel the new life in the instrument the second you play it. It is kiind of like changing strings IMO(except its a more permant change of course).