Questions about DR Sunbeams and Hi-beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bkchang79, Nov 21, 2002.

1. I've switched to DR strings for the past 2 months and I love what they did to my sound. I've used the Marcus Miller 105-45 for my Stu Hamm urge, Lo-rider SS for my P-bass, Sunbeam 100-45 fretless(on order), got hi-beams 105-45 for my new 75 jazz.

Sunbeam= haven't received them yet, but are the harmonics just as good as the Lo-riders? The reason I chose the sunbeams was that the Loriders were so stiff and they're nickel plate. Would the tone be just as good?

Hi-beams= Guitar Center ran out of Marcus Millers so I decided to get the Hibeams for my 75 jazz. Do you think the 105-45 will be too stiff for my 34scale cause that gauge worked perfectly for my 32. Are the hi-beams flexible?

Lo-riders= excellent harmonics, but a pretty stiff string, excellent tone.

Marcus Miller= perfect for my 32 scale stu hamm
  2. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001

I've never used DRs :( but the Hi-Beams are known for its super flexibility :)
  3. I've been using Sunbeams on my Lakland 4-94 fretted for over a year. Only had one bad string and DR replaced the whole set. Anyway they sound great and last a very long time for me. I love the nickle sound, stainless is way too bright for me. Very nice string. I might try the Low rider nickles sometime.

Had Sunbeams on my Lakland Joe Osborn for a while but changed to TI Powerbass. My first set soundrd very good (still on), similar to the Sumbeams. I'm not sure which I like better. One thing I really like about DR's is there is no wrapping felt. I always have to peal back that felt on my E string away from the nut with the strings that come with the stuff. It serves a purpose. The strings without the felt you just need to be careful installing so the outer wrap doesnt' become disengaged from the core part. DR's come with an instruction pertaining to that caution.
  4. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    ..Put the Hi-beams on last night. They felt stiff(compared to the KS's I had on) but,yes, they sounded great. The stainless steel will eat your lunch, though. (where's Notduane?)
  5. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i have DR highbeams on my ibanez btb ,great sounding string IMO,i have used lo-riders ,good string also,but if going to nickels i preferr d'addario slo-wounds,good-luck
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Howdy Sir! :D

I dunno if I can lend a relevant comment here...I been off in
    extra-lite gauge land for a while now :p. I DID recently try a
    set of DR Sunbeams (40-95) on a yammer BBN4F (fretless
    with 2 J pups).

Yes, the DR Sunbeams (with the round core) have a bit of a
    "loose" feel. The very light gauge probably had somethin' to do
    with it too. There was that Nickel "warmth" already mentioned.
    Still, there was too much "edge" for my taste. I'm spoiled on
    that silk-wrap bid'ness in the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz series! :rolleyes:.
    It seems to emphasize even harmonic content (like a tube amp).

I've tried sets of the S/S High Beams & LongNecks (on another
    yammer) purposefully for their nasty-gnarly tone (IMHO). I ended-
    up with Dean Markley SR2000 Lights (44-98, S/S taperwound
    roundwound, hex core). Plain ol' "mean" with a hot pickup and
    good bridge (DiMarzio Split-P™ & Gotoh 201 resp.).
  7. I sacked up and got the TI flats for my P-bass. I have to admit I like the feel of the strings, but on the E string I lost the low end punch my lo-riders used to give me.