Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions about effects for anyoen whose tried them...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 6, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive ben searching around for some effects lately. and ive decided i dont want anymreo typical bass effects. minus the ones here or there (flanger, boost, distortion/fuzz). anyway i came across some of these pedals and if anyone has played them if they could give me some feed back that would be great.

dod fx90 analog delay- is it better than a boss analog delay. in a way i guess theyre all the same.

boss slow gear- does it sound good. i hear its like a violin.

boss spectrum- mid boost?

way huge swollen pickle fuzz- worth the money for the sound

chanlder tube overdrive pedal- soudn good on bass?

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    slowgear is my most used, non conventional effect. It's more like a cello than a violin, though.
    Admitedly I use, the one on the gt6b but it's still awesome. - chords, a pitch shifterr and some long delays can make you sound like half a string section. I can't describe just how good chords sound on it- very atmospheric. I've used it on a bunch of instrumental tracks, just myself and an awesome drummer with a guitarist make random bleeps. It's definately an effect for the more chilled tracks.

Buy it- It will make your life even better!

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks dirt groove for your input. i think i just may purchase it. however where would it go it my chain of effects. before delay?

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yes you'd want it first, or near the front. It squashes your signal and then raises it, similar to what you can do with a volume pedaly turning your volume from 0-10 after you play a note.- but with more consistency, ie increasing to the same peak at the same rate each time. It sounds pretty much like a bowed note.
    As a result of this it may not work too well after a delay, in my expereince it just confuses the pedal and gives me volume swells where i don't want them. Obviously, It doesn't work to well with alot of compression either.
    The setting I use the most goes, slowgear, od, tremolo, auto-wah, delay,

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks dg.

got any samples of it?

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    somewhere. I'll try to post them this weekend if I can- but my connections down at home, right now. remind me if again on Monday if I haven't done it yet. I have the atttention span of a hamster.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  8. Any MP3s of those songs? Love to hear'em.

9. Ooh the Slow Gear sounds very nice indeedy! But does anyone know if it's actually still in production singularly as a compact pedal? (it's the SG-1 right?) Unless i'm being real stupid (quite a possibility :p) I couldn't find it anywhere on the Boss website...

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    they stopped making them sometime ago. a long time ago acutally. but they were just compact single pedals. now they pop up on ebay from time to time...