1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about Epiphone 3 point bridge repair.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by psychepool, Nov 21, 2018.

1. psychepool

psychepool

Nov 19, 2018
    Hi.
    Recently, I bought an epiphone jack cassey with a flaw at a very low price.
    The flaw was bridge stud pulled out.

When I search about it, it was common problem in the three-point bridge, and many people use it with no repair.
    But it seems serious for me and decided to fix it.

Loose the string and the inserted the bushing and stud with a rubber hammer.
    Inserted succesful, but when I tune the string, it was pulled back to bad position.

There was a solution to fix it with instant glue. I tried it.
    It was well fixed for about two days, but when I loosened the string for set up and then rewound it again, It pulled out again.
    The problem got a bit bigger this time. because of instant glue, the top plate crack when bushing pulled out.

It had a fairly heavy gauge flatwound. I think it's the cause.
    Probably It was beyond the limit of the hollow body can stand.
    I have ordered 45-100 gauge now, and I want to repair the bridge before I replace the string.

I have a personal tip about finish so I do not worry about it. All my attention is to put the bushings very firmly but what should I do?
    My plan is to drilling the bushing hole a little bit larger, then insert a wooden stick of a size that fits into the hole, fix it with an instant glue, and drilling it back into the bushing size.
    Can you see how the hole size for the bushing is? I search the bridge specification but I only get information about the bridge itself and the stud, and the specification of the bushing is hard to know.

Please let me know if there is a more reliable method than the repair method I think.
    I hope that it will be installed stably so that it will not come out again.
    I do not know what the inside of the bushing looks like because it is a hallow body.
    But if it is hollow, I think it would be better to fill it more tightly. but I don't know the inside.

Before repair
    before.

Pulled out again after repair with instant glue

after.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

High quality epoxy. Use a file to score the knurled metal inserts. Apply epoxy thinly to the sides of the hole. Do not put any on the stud. Push the stud in. Clean up any excess epoxy with paper towel and alcohol.

Be sure no epoxy gets into the threads.

You might want to do the other stud at the same time.

When set up the bridge, raise the front middle stud just a bot so the plate is higher in front and slopes down to the two back studs.

rocknrollmouse and Matt Liebenau like this.
  3. psychepool

psychepool

Nov 19, 2018

Thanks! I will try it.

There's an additional problem.
    One side of bushing is pulled out well but the other side of bushing is not pulled out at all.
    How can I pull it out safty and cleary?
    I tried to hit it with a rubber hammer but it did not move at all.
    Is it dangerous to wind with the heavy gauge E string?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  4. handofdumb

handofdumb

Sep 7, 2017
    Illinois
    I can't help much with the repair, but I know how to remove a bushing!

What you'll want to do is find a small screw that will go through the hole at the bottom of the bushing - it should be touching the wood of the bass, pointing straight up (head or point first, doesn't matter).

Now, screw in your post and VOILA! The bushing should slide right out.

Here's a 53 second video that someone made on the topic:

GCPENG and 96tbird like this.