1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about European (French) citizenship and the European Union

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crispygoat, Jan 18, 2012.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    Hi,

Following my graduate studies, I have the intention of moving to Europe for a certain period of time. I am currently considering Sweden. Here's the thing:

After World War II, my grandparents moved to Canada from France where they had my father. In the 1960s they returned to France for a short period of time, but eventually moved back to Canada. My father never bothered getting a French citizenship.

Now, from what I heard, traveling within the European Union is relatively easy if you have a citizenship from a European Union country.

So my questions are,

Is there any short term (i.e. getting a work permit) and long term (i.e. getting Swedish citizenship) benefits in getting a French citizenship if my goal is to move to Sweden? If so, am I eligible to claim French citizenship by descent?

Thank you.

2. Anybody from any EU country can work and live in any other EU country without a Visa or permit.

So getting a French passport would allow you to live and work in sweden.

Regarding being eligible to claim a french passport it might be worth going to the embassy but IMO you are not eligible!

I checked online and to be french you have to be either:

_of french parent (at least one) no mention of grandparents

_born on french soil.

_marry a french

_have lived for 5 years in France

Sorry but it doesnt look good...

3. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    Thank you for your hindsight. I contacted the Canadian French embassy. It seems my father would have to gotten his French citizenship before I was 18. Also, my father isn't eligible either seeing his parents haven't had any French identification documents in the past 50 years.

By the way, I really like your black and white pictures of old people!

4. Thank you for checking out my pictures!

Feel free to save the link as i add more stuff every week or so!

Sorry to hear about the failed passport attempt!