Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by volman318, Jan 23, 2001.

1. volman318

volman318

Jan 23, 2001
    I am a guitar player who is switching over to Bass. I have been looking at basses and have decided which one I like best. Help me answer this question please.
    I want a Fender Standard Jazz bass because of it's looks and thin fretboard. It is also a great sounding bass for the price. I am not a jazz player however. I play rock music. I COULD get the Standard Precision bass, but I prefer the look and feel of the Jazz. My question: Can I get a rock sound out of a jazz bass? Would the Precision be a better choice for me? or do they sound pretty similar. Thanks for your help.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Yes, you can absolutely rock with a Jazz Bass. Noel Redding and Geddy Lee are just 2 examples. Geddy's new album, my favorite headache, was recorded with his Fender Jazz.

Rock on.

3. Fender Jazz basses rock like few others. For absolute rockers, the only thing that beats a Fender is a Sadowsky, which is a Fender on steroids that costs $3500. Fenders are on all types of heavy rock albums with great bass, like Christian Olde-Wolbers of Fear Factory. Great bassist; uses a Fender Jazz 5-string. And Geddy Lee's got one, too, on his new album. Really great.

Get the Fender.

4. Check my profile.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I use my jazz [mim] for everything-except when i'm playing my ashbory but since the ashbory doesn't fit in alot of situations so the Jazz gets played alot. Thats all

6. A Jazz works great for rock, or just about anything else.

Another very notable Jazz bass player is John Paul Jones.

If you like the Jazz, roll with it and 'growl' away :D

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    you dont have to play jazz to have a jazz bass...you will love the tones youll get from a jazz bass...its one of the most versitile bass's out there in my opinion...you can go from rock, to country, to funk, to jazz, to anything with them..id recomend passing on the standard and getting the deluxe active, for a lil more in price you get alot more bang for the buck.