Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions About Fender Roscoe Beck IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nedmundo, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've had major GAS for one of these for awhile, but have a couple of questions.

First, originally the specs indicated abalone dot position markers, but apparently these have been changed to black markers on the maple fretboard. Are they abalone on the rosewood? Fender's site doesn't specify.

Also, the specs indicate an "asymmetrical" neck profile, and a 12" radius fretboard. Does it feel dramatically different from a typical U.S. Fender Jazz bass neck? If so, how? (If a description is possible. It's been impossible to find one to test in my area.)

I'd appreciate any other comments on the RBIV, as I haven't found an in-depth review.

2. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Have you tried this thread yet? I'm not sure if this will answer all your questions on the bass' features, but it does go into decent detail what a couple of TBer's thought of the RBIV.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93330&highlight=SMASH+Roscoe+Beck

It seems like there are still fit and finish issues to work out for one of these. If there's word that Fender has gotten this ironed out with later runs though, I'm all over this bass like a cheap suit.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Thanks. I ran a search earlier, but missed that thread.

It's a real shame folks are having such problems with this model, because in theory it could be Fender's best passive four string. For now, I'll just stick with the tried and true -- a couple of P's, a nice J, and a KILLER semi-hollow from DiPinto.

But when Fender irons it out, Lake Placid Blue with rosewood board and painted headstock could be real nice!

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I just to put in a word that I have one and it is an extremely good bass. It is probably the best Fender I've ever played and the variation in tone is exceptional with its ability to go from single coil to parallel to series. Don't give up on them, try them out.

5. Have a pic KJones? I'd love to see it!

6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Just for you fresh, I will try to take a picture and get it on here later today.