1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about Fender service...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Dec 1, 2001.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Will fender sell/send/replace a neck for a specific model? Let me explain... I picked up a Steve Harris p-bass this morning, and the neck is shot. It is split, cracked, and splintered. Can I get Fender to get me a new Steve Harris neck? Has anyone been through this sort of thing before? I know I could get a neck from warmoth, mighty mite, etc... but I would sort of like to have the correct neck on the bass... I bought the bass at an outlet store, so there is no warranty, or anything like that... Does anyone know if they might do this? Thanks...

P@

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My experience with this was quite a hassle. You have to take the whole bass to a Fender-authorized luthier, who then verifies that the bass is complete. Only the luthier can order the new neck. And they're expensive. $300 something, as I recall. Mine was a '93 Am P Deluxe, and they didn't have the neck for it, so I had to get a '98 neck for it.

Since then, Fender has started selling necks and bodies over the counter, so it may be easier to get one now. Good luck.