1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about finishing a bass in a solid color

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ElBajista, Apr 25, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How hard is it to finish a bass in a solid color? I've been eyeing some unfinished bass bodies on Ebay in the hopes of making an Inca Silver project bass.

The body will (hopefully) be Swamp Ash, if that matters at all.

What tools/supplies do I need for finishing? What is involved with finishing a bass? Is there any sort of step-by-step tutorial available?

Thanks!

2. 1stOfficerRiker

1stOfficerRiker Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Cincinnati
  3. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    www.reranch.com has supplies for all sorts of solid finishes. I haven't ever used their products but I'm sure there are others here who could comment.
    Another option would be to take the body to a body shop and ask them to paint it for you. They'd probably charge you something but if it was a color they were using anyway you might get off a little easier.

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'll definitely check out those two links.

Really, I'd like to do the work on the bass myself.

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Then the ReRanch is your best bet. Even if you don't use their products they have a very comprehensive set of instructions on doing all sorts of finishes. They also have a forum dedicated to finishing guitars, so there's plenty of expertise available.

-Nate

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    That's what I noticed. I read around on there and I feel somewhat prepared to get this going. Now to scrounge up some cash to buy the components....

Thanks, guys!