Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about fretless and basses with more than 4 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r6mile, Mar 5, 2006.

1. I am just a noob playing bass, otherwise i wouldn't be asking all these questions. What i want to ask is: what kind of music do you play with your basses that have more than 4 strings, and do you use the extra strings a lot?
    I also have another question: i know what fretless basses are and how they work, but when and how do you use them?

P.S: please answer it's important

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    You use a fretless...when you feel like it? I don't really get the question. It's not like there are rules set down by the Bass Ancients that say 'You may only use a fretless in blahdablah situation'.

3. I mean, what extra things do you get when playing a fretless bass?

4. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    It's a mayyer of personal taste for both of your questions.
    I use both 5 string fretted and and 5 string fretless. Simply because I like the sound.

Peace

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Like bassksun said, it just depends on whether the sound works for you and the situation. I, personally, don't play fretless, but there've been a few times when I wished I had one around.

6. OK i understand fretless basses now. But what about basses with more than 4 strings? When and how do you use the extra strings?

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Jack Bruce is a good example. During the Cream reunion shows in England, he played a Warwick fretless and I never heard "White Room" sound so good!
    There is no rule that says you have to play fretless for a jazz song and a fretted 5 for rock. Tony Franklin really brought fretless into rock when he joined The Firm in the mid 80's. At least that's when I really turned an ear towards fretless.

The point is that a fretless bass adds another dimension of sound to a piece. It's a beautiful and destinctive sound and it really cuts through the mix. It takes a lot of discipline and practice to get it right.

Once you really get into playing, you'll know. Extended range basses are another way of adding depth to your sound. They are great for soloing and chording. I'm not an extended player at all, but I'm sure someone here with more experience will chime in.

8. I use a fiver for all music i play.. and that is everything from death metal to blues and funk.. I use the extra string when it is needed, or when i feel like it. when i play music in standard tuning i use the low E on the B-string a lot insted of the open E..

9. It is all a matter of what kind of pitch range is necessary and practical for you. I use six because I do chordal work and like the low range for the keys of Eb, D, Db.