Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions about home recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LarryO, Apr 23, 2005.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Just recently got a new cpu. I have a copy of Nuendo. I would like to record bass and guitar tracks into the cpu but would like to use pre made drum patterns. How do I plug my bass/guitar into the cpu? Can I just connect an adapter to the 1/4" cable and then plug into the sound card mic in or line in jack? will this damage anything? should I buy some device to go inbetween the instrument and soundcard? I do want to plug into the cpu rather than use a mic because I will need to this with headphones on. any help would be appreciated

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Go through a direct box (GC has passable DI's for $20ish), into a mixer (a 2-channel cheapie might run you $50 or so), and into your soundcard's line in. This, IMO, is the best budget-oriented way to get decent signal into a computer. Of course, since Nuendo sells for about $900, you might have enough $$ available to drop some cash into something from M-Audio or Edirol dedicated to recording, something I definitely would look into were I you.

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    The Nuendo I have is a copy...I was in a band with a rich drummer...he made a copy...LOL

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    That's it, the cops are on their way ;) . Seriously, that's a powerful program, learn to use it well. And check on dedicated recording cards or interfaces, they're WAY better than any built-in soundcard. Put up clips when you've got something!!!

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    it might be powerful but it isn't easy to use....at least cool edit only took a few days to figure out how to use...Nuendo is like aforeign language....

6. amused2KAOS

amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    you should use a middi box if you want to have good tone and make the sound qaulity better. if your just making some fast demos than you could just plug put a small headphone jack on your instrument cable and plug it directly into the mic jack. what me and my friends do is just record on a 4 track tape player and then plug that into the mic jack then use a program like WavePad to make it digital