questions about home recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LarryO, Apr 23, 2005.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Just recently got a new cpu. I have a copy of Nuendo. I would like to record bass and guitar tracks into the cpu but would like to use pre made drum patterns. How do I plug my bass/guitar into the cpu? Can I just connect an adapter to the 1/4" cable and then plug into the sound card mic in or line in jack? will this damage anything? should I buy some device to go inbetween the instrument and soundcard? I do want to plug into the cpu rather than use a mic because I will need to this with headphones on. any help would be appreciated

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Go through a direct box (GC has passable DI's for $20ish), into a mixer (a 2-channel cheapie might run you $50 or so), and into your soundcard's line in. This, IMO, is the best budget-oriented way to get decent signal into a computer. Of course, since Nuendo sells for about $900, you might have enough $$ available to drop some cash into something from M-Audio or Edirol dedicated to recording, something I definitely would look into were I you.

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    The Nuendo I have is a copy...I was in a band with a rich drummer...he made a copy...LOL

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    That's it, the cops are on their way ;) . Seriously, that's a powerful program, learn to use it well. And check on dedicated recording cards or interfaces, they're WAY better than any built-in soundcard. Put up clips when you've got something!!!

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    it might be powerful but it isn't easy to use....at least cool edit only took a few days to figure out how to use...Nuendo is like aforeign language....

6. amused2KAOS

amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    you should use a middi box if you want to have good tone and make the sound qaulity better. if your just making some fast demos than you could just plug put a small headphone jack on your instrument cable and plug it directly into the mic jack. what me and my friends do is just record on a 4 track tape player and then plug that into the mic jack then use a program like WavePad to make it digital