1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about Honda cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sarcastro83, Sep 25, 2008.

1. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey all,

For the more car savy members of TB, I might be in a position soon where my job will need me to own a car. I am relatively car-tarded considering I've been primarily utilising public transportation all my life. I won't have a lot of money to throw around, and am considering buying a mid-late 90's model Honda Civic or Honda Accord considering I've heard that they're reasonably well made.

Can anyone give me any feedback as to how reliable these cars are? Any issues I need to look out for? Any reasonable equivalents or superiors in terms of quality? I tried searching for some specific info already in OT, but couldn't really find anything specifically pertaining to Honda.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Twice in the past 20 years I've had to buy a new (used) car. And so both times I read all the magazines I could on the subject (eg, Road & Track, Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, etc) and spoke to a few mechanics, and I basically came away BOTH TIMES with this exact same conclusion:

There is no reason to ever buy any used car other than a Honda.

Seriously.

So I did, both times, and have been very happy. (edit: both were Civics.)

My next car will be a Honda also. (Well, except for the fact that my current neighborhood is Parking Challenged, so if I don't move before I need to replace this car I'll have to get an ultra-compact, like a Mini Cooper or a SmartCar. But I'd rather buy a Honda.)

3. My wife & I have owned an 87 & 92 Civic & 03 Pilot; NEVER had an issue of any kind. Put some fairly hard miles on them as well, particularly the 87(school, commuting, foolish youth:rolleyes:). Very reliable, IME.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've bought two used Honda's in my day, and I'm currently driving my second one. Reliable as hell if you give them basic oil changes and maintenance. Both times I bought Civics. CV-Boots can go on the at around 100k, but you check those and do some preemptive checking and you've got a car that will go for 200k easily. I went through a clutch cable on my old 85 Civic Wagovan, but that was the biggest job I had. Oh and an alternator got wet and had to be replaced on my 85.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm driving a 2001 Honda Civic.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've owned - and driven hard - 3 Civics ('75 - parents bought new and I took over in high school, '86 - bought used, and '95 - my first new car). All were EXCELLENT and very reliable vehicles. It's really hard to go wrong with a used Honda. Seriously.

6. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I drive a 2004 Civic, and I drive it hard. Lots of miles, not the best places. It's in great shape and is a great car. I LOVE MY HONDA!

7. Here's my Honda List:

1984 Civic Hatchback (bought used in '85)
    1993 Civic Hatchback (bought new in '94)
    1999 Civic Hatchback (bought new in '99)
    2003 Element EX (bought new in '03)
    2006 Pilot EX-L (bought new in '06)

In the time since I started driving, I've owned only one car that was not a Honda, a 1984 Volvo 245 Wagon, which was a fine vehicle until the electrical system started to go, then it was time to say bye-bye.

Every single one, save the '99 because it was stolen from the ex-wife (who got it in the divorce) and stripped down, is STILL running.

I'm driving the E now, the wife drives the P.

You cannot go wrong on a used Honda ANYTHING, as long as you make sure it wasn't totally abused before you get it.

Change the oil, do routine maintenance, and it will run forever.

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I am driving a Honda accord and my wife drives a Honda Odissey. That should tell you what I think about Honda.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've had a few, the current being a new CRV. They've all been great. If you like to take trips to the service guy, don't buy a Honda.... because you can pretty much weld the hood shut. Best car on the road.

10. rush_fan

rush_fan

Aug 20, 2008
    My wife had a 91 Honda Civic DX Hatchback. We traded it at 150,000 miles for a brand new 2000 Honda CRV that now has 130,000 trouble free miles. Oh sorry, at 105,000 a sensor went bad in a half an hour replaced it with NO further problems. We traded the Civic for a CRV because of our rural location and she needed something with All Wheel drive for the winter.

I was contemplating trading in my Nissan Titan for a Honda Ridgeline, but with gas prices the way they are, I'll wait awhile since no one wants a V-8 truck.

Steve

11. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    The only drawback to getting a Honda is that car thieves prefer them. There's a reason for that - they run forever. Currently have an '08 Accord, which just got sideswiped today by an old lady in a parking lot.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Hondas are great...

Toyotas are greater.

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I bought an Accord LX in 1991 and an Acura TL in 2000. In those 17 years I've spent $7 in unscheduled maintenance on those cars. Yep, only $7. The plastic cover under the inside drivers door handle on the Accord. I bought a $7 part and replaced it myself.

In my experience Honda vehicles are exceptionally reliable.

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I had an 89 honda which had been ridden well before I got it. Had a few minor problems here and there, and then the engine finally went just under 200K. That car was amazing, I actually liked it more than my current car, but my current car is a chevy aveo I bought out of haste to get a new car to replace that honda and I wouldn't have to upkeep but could still afford.

15. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Wow... looks like I'm going to be hitting up a used Honda when the time comes. Thanks for the input, everyone!

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I drive a 1991 Honda Civic. It's got 144k miles, and I'm STILL getting 46 miles to the gallon.

A known issue with the 1991-1992 Civics is that in hot climates, the main power relay swells, and then contracts when it cools off, causing tiny cracks to form in the circuit board. Eventually, the car will refuse to start in hot weather. I just had to replace mine - $70 part and a lot of cussing (it's under the dash). Beyond that the cars run beautifully.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's the problem up here.

-Mike

18. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'm leasing an 08 Accord EX (6 banger), my first Honda. I like it. It's a full size, though and I probably shoulda got a Civic. Gas mileage has improved from 26 on the highway to now 29mpg (I was told they improve as the engines break in). I hate the XM radio on it. Didn't renew after the 3 mo trial. I would have been happy with another Altima, too, though.

My son just picked up a nice '95 Civic DX (plain Jane) manual 5 speed for $2900 with 131K miles. So far so good on both vehicles.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    My wife researched that problem a few years back because our 92 Civic Si developed a problem starting occassionally. I'd forgotten about the problem until your post... because the fix cost me nothing.
    :hyper:

I removed the relay, opened it up and refreshed the solder joints. Problem solved.

Eventually we'll need to do a clutch. It's shifting fine but at going on 220k miles on the original it can't last forever... or can it?;)

We bought the 92 Civic Si, 94 Accord Ex and 03 Element new. 86 and 90 Civic Si's purchased used. No major problems with any of them and we put a ton of miles on both of them. Hondas are probably the most overbuilt for the price vehicles around.

And no, Toyotas don't really compare though they may be the closest competitor IMO IME:D

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    One drawback from a buyer's point of view is that the used ones maintain pretty high resale value.