Questions About Inputs/Outputs (oh no, another BDDI thread)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjgallen, Jan 15, 2003.

1. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Here's my setup:

Fender Active Jazz 5--->Sansamp BDDI--->Carvin DCM1500 (Bridged)--->Avatar Cabs

I've done a TON of searches regarding the use of the Sansamp Bass Driver DI as a stand alone preamp, and have found many opinions, facts, and links to other similar threads, but I have yet to find a clear answer. So here's a few questions:

What is the output voltage of the Sansamp BDDI? Is it enough to drive my Carvin DCM1500 to full power? Should I use the XLR output or the 1/4" output with an XLR adapter? One person said the 1/4" was a hotter output (but nobody confirmed it). One person said the RBI would work better, but then someone else said Sansamp told them it had the same output level as the BDDI :confused: Has anyone done the resistor mod? Did it work well? Is it necessary?

...also, at my last gig, I used the 1/4" output of the BDDI with an XLR adapter to my power amp, and the sound guy used the XLR of the BDDI to run me to his mixer and PA, but if I'm running the XLR of the BDDI to my power amp, can I just use the "through" output on my power amp to run to the PA (is that what it's for)?

...AND, is there anything important I should know about the output of my bass (active pickups) and if it will affect anything I'm asking about (like how high should I keep the volume)? I don't want anything blowing up :rolleyes: :eek:

blahblahblahblahblahblah sorry for the long post. Feel free to answer as many/few of my questions as you like and/or point to threads I've missed which have already answered them. Thanks. Thanks.
  2. DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I've got no answers, but would love to know the same things.

3. cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm also interested because I was thinking of running a similar setup.

Active Bass --> Sansamp DI --> DCM 1000 --> Avatar/Carvin Cabs
  4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

To the best of my knowledge, the BDDI is at a lower level output. Don't forget it's run on 9 volts and 100ma whatever...and is intended so step up/effect/di a bass guitar.It will not drive some amps to full power. I tried it with my Eden WT1000 and it was very weak and lifeless. It should be run IN FRONT of a preamp, not instead of.
    I dont know what the input sensitivity is on the carvin, but my old crown PB 2 had switchable inputs. It's something like -4db to +10db or -10db to +4db I don't remember.
    But there is no switchable outputs on the BDDI.
    Maybe a line booster stomper or something can be used.
    Why don't you get a preamp?
  5. I own both the BDDI and the RBI. For driving a poweramp go with the RBI. The RBI is a true preamp whereas the BDDI is best used as a direct box for sending a signal to a PA or for recording.
  6. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I'm trying to work with what I got here. Would this mod boost the level enough? Also, is there any truth to what inwbcstm said in This Thread

What if I were to get a little mixer like the Behringer MX602A Eurorack (Musician's Friend). I was considering getting one for recording, but couldn't I use it to boost my signal? Plus it has Phanton Power :D Would that work?
  7. When I tried my BDDI into my Carvin poweramp I experienced the same results as RockBobby. I also tried bypassing the pre on my old Eden WT300 and it was weak as well. I don't know anyone who has made the BDDI mod but I'd be reluctant to do so since I'd rather not risk damaging it by accident. While it's true that Tech 21 claims that they can drive a poweramp with the BDDI I haven't found this to be the case.