1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about matching pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ElBajista, May 7, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I would like convert my SX Jazz from a JJ configuration to a PJ configuration.

How would I go about matching different pickups? Say that I want X brand P pickup and Y brand J pickup, How would I make sure that they're compatible?

2. Might want to check output ratings, for one. Your P might be a lot hotter than the J and throw everything off!

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    A P/J set from any manufacturer would already be matched so unless you're in love with your bridge pickup you might start looking at what sets are available.

SD SPB-2 or 3?

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    IIRC, I think that simply by the nature of P pickups (and J pickups), the P will usually always be louder unless you use some sort of onboard preamp with trim pots for each pickup. I think this is due to the P pickup being wired in series and the J being wired in parallel. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Isn't the output rating the "K" value? Like Reverend P pickups come in 7.3K, 8.7K, and 10K values, so the 10K will be much louder than the 7.3K, right?

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I considered this, but the budget calls for me to shop used, which usually means I will probably have to "piecemeal" this. I was hoping to learn enough to be able to match pickups reasonably well depending on what I find on the used market.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Generally correct as far as I know and many Bartolinis are fairly low output, which I found out not too far back.
    One really hot output Jazz pickup would be the SD Quarter Pounder and if you have any particular pickups you're interested in there's probably someone on TB who would know if it's a good pairing.