Questions about Music Major

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ely, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Ok, I am tired of sitting around doing nothing with my life. I am a 17-year-old high school dropout, I have my GED, but no real interests other than music. I've never had any formal training, I haven't learned to read music, but I am wanting to learn. I live in Huntsville Alabama and I was looking at the various music programs at the colleges around here. Would it be worth it to get my music major? I will take lessons if I must. Sorry if I'm not being very coherent, my brain doesn't work when I want it to.
  2. I majored in music for 2.5 years (yet, my degree is in Speech and Communication...).

You will probably need to take lessons for a few months to get up to speed on reading some music, scales, modes, basic theory, etc. Most music schools or programs will require you demonstrate proficiency in these areas. You can probably take lessons from a teacher at one of the colleges, and tell him/her your goals for getting into school and beyond.

Be ready for a HUGE time commitment. You'll have a completely full schedule of classes and ensembles. And you'll need to practice on your own several hours a week (I think we were supposed to be at 2-3 hrs/day, on top of 2-3 hour long rehersals M-F, and a full 18 credit course load).

Finally, look for a program that includes something like music business or production. You will be much more in demand for an actual job when you graduate. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  3. My advice would be not to do it. You'll end up working much harder than everyone around you, but end up struggling financially when you're done. If it's your passion then do it, but please make sure that you know what you're getting into.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i have music degree. do it for love and not for money. my folks always warned me about my job prospects but encouraged me anyway...

i eventually got an MBA..
  5. A lot of colleges won't accept GEDs, be aware of that.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But, community colleges do, and most colleges do accept associate degrees.
  7. Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Indeed, I plan on going to community college first. I've been told that the music teachers at the local community college are better than the ones at the university. Not sure if it's true or not, but I'm probably going to both anyway. I will definitely have to find myself a good bass teacher sometime soon. Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming. I also do plan on learning about production, and I am doing it for the love of music, not money. Thanks again.
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Often times, professors at community colleges are evaluated on how well they teach, while professors at universities are evaluated on how well they do research. It seems a bit unfair because I've had some professors who didn't know their asses from a hole in the ground. I'm paying to be taught; I don't care if the professor has a lot of papers published in peer reviewed journals or if they came up with theory x or theory y. Teaching's definatley a skill and talent. I never believed in the maxim that "those who can do, and those who can't, teach". Many can do, but they can't teach.