Questions about my amp + upgrades

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rjny36, Feb 15, 2006.

1. rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    While I'm not terribly proud to admit it, I actually own a Crate BX2115 1x15 combo amp. I've recently joined up with a blues/jazz/classic rock band, and it's held up well at rehearsal, but I'm not sure if I'd need something more for playing out. I really know very, very little about amplification. My questions are as follows:

1) The amp is rated 220w @ 4 ohms / 160w @ 8 ohms "minimum load," so if I would add another cab (probably a 4x10) to it, would I need a 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

2) The back panel of my amp has a PWR Amp IN 1/4" jack, so if I were to buy a head at some point, would I be able to plug it in there and bypass what's in the combo amp, now?

3) If I'm completely off on the PWR Amp IN thing, could I just unhook the speaker out jack from the combo's head, and put it into a new head?

I figure with the combo, I'd be alright in small venues... with the combo and another cab, I'd be okay volume-wise in larger ones... and with a new head, I could get a better tone out of the deal... and eventually phase out the combo amp, altogether. Does this make any kind of sense? :eyebrow:
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you have a "speaker out" Its best to stick with a 8 ohm to be on the safe side.

that is an INPUT for the power amp. in other words a way to BYPASS the internal preamp and connect to the power amp.

if you can disconnect a wire from the head "ouput", that you are SURE goes to the speaker, you could hook that into another amp or head.

you could play with the idea of putting a sansamp BDDI pedal connected to the AMP IN. or put it before the normal guitar input. if you NEED to totally bypass the pre AND amp you might as well just buy another solo cab. for small and medium gigs the combo or combo+cab should work GREAT...

good luck