Questions About my First Project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mud Flaps, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I have thought of an idea that makes me want to become a Luthier.

Lots of people rave about the sound of the Warwick Thumb bass. But people complain that the neck is heavier than the body; which, causes an imbalance which causes severe wrist pain. And besides, poor balance is not something you want in a $2000+ bass.

My idea is to build a Warwick Thumb bass ripoff, with a graphite neck.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find supplies?

Can I buy MEC pickups directly from Warwick?

And since I need to start thinking about college, which one is the best if I want to become a bass/guitar luthier?
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I know that my reply is negative, but I think that they are valid points.

On the other hand, if you are looking to do something that is at least somewhat original, while achieving something like the "warwick tone," more power to you. In my opinion, of course.
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Sorry, my writing during lunch is not great.

I wanted to try the Thumb idea for a bass of my own, not if I became a luthiar.

If I were a Luthier, I would make whatever the costumer would want me to make; unless I became as big as Carl Thompson or someone along those lines.

What would you suggest instead of MEC pickups?
  4. i know that warwicks have come with MEC, basslines, and bartolinis before
    basslines and barts are easy to find, look on for basslines and for barts

as far as running into patent problems with warwick, i believe that the only thing that they are allowed to trademark is the headstock as far as appearance goes. i think that was decided a few years back in court cases where fender was suing other companies, such as ibanez.
    so, you can copy the body, just reshape the headstock, which is kind of shady, because you're still ripping off their idea, but you can get away with it that way
    (probably only pertains if you plan on selling thumb-esque basses to make a profit)
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I may have a set of MEC pickups laying around that I could sell you. PM me if you are in the states and you are interested.
  6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Thanks FBB, but I am young and fickle. And now I have decided that I like the MusicMan pickups better, those hambuckers.

I think I am going to back down on my first project, or at least save it to summer. I just got my music for Jazz Ensemble and that needs to be what I need to concentrate on besides the rest of my homework.

Sorry for wasting your time.