Questions About My Flatback Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Truitt Sosebee, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Truitt Sosebee

Truitt Sosebee

Nov 19, 2015
    Hello. I'm a new member here. I have an interesting Flatback bass that I would like to learn more about.
    I play bluegrass (mostly just a root-five kind of guy), and I bought this bass at a local pawn shop because I thought it looked cool and the price was ridiculously low. However, I don't know anything about the bass. Does anyone have any advice on how to identify it?

2. It's hard to make out details in your photos (strong, natural light generally makes for a MUCH better cellcam photo) but from what I can see it was made in Germany near the Czech border sometime around 1900, it's undergone a fairly clumsy scroll graft, and it could use a new bridge.

3. Truitt Sosebee

Truitt Sosebee

Nov 19, 2015
    Thanks for the info KUNGfu SHERIFF. That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. I will try to take some better pictures tonight.
    Is there much desirability for a bass like this? I've been thinking of trading it away, but really have no clue as to the potential value (or lack thereof).

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  4. I had a similar bass for a few years, and sold it to a luthier friend at a time I needed cash for $3K. There's a market for those, yes.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021