1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about my new 2010 am dlx (or any active bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fitz420, Oct 30, 2010.

1. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Alright, I've been a long time passive only bass player. My Lakland Darryl Jones has served me well for a long time. I fell in love with the new 2010 Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass and decided to sell my Lakland and buy one. I have a few questions, although I am not by any means a newbie, I have very limited experience with actives.

First, I use a variety of pedals to achieve certain sounds. Because I use 6 pedals I experience some tone suck with my passive and had a high quality dedicated buffer built for the front end of my pedal board. This brought back the highs and clarity lost in my long cable runs. Now that I have an active bass I notice no tone suck and while in active mode clearly don't need my buffer pedal.

My first question is....when my bass is switched to passive mode, will I need my buffer pedal again, or because it still has 2x9v batteries in it will it still be high impedance.

My second question is...while in active mode would i benefit from placing my buffer at the end of my pedal board, or is this considered unnecessary while using an active bass?

Thanks in advance to those with helpful advice.

2. When an active bass is switched to passive mode the batteries and preamp shouldn't be in the signal chain at all.
    Unless the pickups themselves are active, as opposed to just an active preamp, passive mode will probably = tone suck.
    The whole point of having a passive bypass function is for when the batteries die, so all the active goodness is gone.

Keep your buffer where it is.
    Never know what the future holds for you, and being ready for anything counts for a LOT in my book.

3. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    From my experience Fender active electronic suck.
    For my opinion it doesnt do much to tone or not enough.
    Now I have Spector with EMG DC pups and EMG bts 18v electronic and its punchy, earth shaking low end and clean chrisp high end.

4. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    thank you KeithAlanK, thats the answer i was looking for. i assumed that when its in passive all electronics are out of the chain. i have a couple pedals that don't like active pups that much so i will be doing some switching.

as far as fender active electronics sucking, i'm quite happy with them.

5. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    What happend to my post. I was the first one to respond and had that same answer. lol