Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about my new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassRocker8713, Sep 8, 2005.

1. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    So I just purchased an Ampeg SVT-5Pro and I'm having a little trouble understanding its Ohm handling capabilities. Its ratings are as follows:

205 Watts x 2 @ 8 Ohms/680 watts mono-bridged @ 8 Ohms
    340 Watts x 2 @ 4 Ohms/1000 watts mono-bridged @ 4 Ohms
    500 Watts x 2 @ 2 Ohms

Ok, so what I'm having trouble understanding is what makes the 2 Ohm load (keep in mind that this head has 2 seperate power amps). Is it saying that it can handle 2 Ohms (2 4 ohm cabs on each side, 250 Watts to each cab) on each side, or that it can handle a 4 Ohm load on each side (500 watts to each cab), thus creating a 2 Ohm load? If it is the former, doesn't 500 Watts seem like too small of an amount for a 2 ohm load?

I'm sorry, I know I just asked a s**t load of questions, but any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Corey

2. It is saying it can handle a 2 ohm load on EACH SIDE, providing 500 watts to each side. So yes, if you were using four cabs that are 4 ohms apiece, each cab would get 250 watts.

However, if you bridge the amp you can get all 1000 watts into one 4 ohm cab.

If you were using two 4 ohm cabs then you can get 340 watts to each cab.

Chances are good that if you ran 4 cabs @ 250 watts apiece you could melt people's eyeballs.

3. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Wow, ok. So what you're saying is that if I really wanted to, I could run 4 8x10 cabs into my head?! That seems utterly impractical to me, but it would look pretty d**n cool! Man, I wish there was some way for me to put the 2 x 500 watts into 2 4 Ohm cabs....oh well.