Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions about my new warwick

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AnTz0r, Nov 7, 2003.

1. I got me a new '92, 5-string, Corvette Proline retrofitted with EMG's. Picture is attached.

First of all, im going to install some new strings, i posted in the DR thread on strings section, so that will be ok! :)

then the dirt on it: it is black at the armrest and near pu's. anyone knows how i can clean this best? it hasnt been waxed for some months, so it needs a full job :(

Then i have another question. My previous bass, a passive 4-string Cort, used with my Trace 130W combo, seems to have more output than this warwick. the trace manual says to set gain at highest level without lighting the overload led too often. with the cort i used the passive input, and gain set to 8. with the warwick, i use the same passive input with gain @ 9!!! and still overload when i pluck really hard, harder then i ever would while playing. how can this be possible?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice bass ;) (but mine is as nice, too: :p a Corvette Standard 6)
    From the picture it looks like its a natural finish, so you will have to wax it, but before that, try to remove that "blackness" BTW what do yo mean by "black"? that darker area or is there something more black that we cant see because of your hand? ;)
    well, i would use a soft cloth and try to (gently!) rub it off and then wax it - did you try this so far? and of course use the Warwick wax (i would not experiment with anything other). If the dry cloth doesnt work, then leave it as it is or wait for somebody here who knows more about this.

And whats that about the amp? The gain sets the resistance, so when you turn it higher, resistance will be higher so it wont overload => the 'wick is higher output. Or does this work somehow differently? :D

3. i have mailed warwick about this. this is what they had to say:

The dirt can be removed only by sandpapering the body completetly.
    You should disassemble the whole hardware, sandpaper and re-wax.
    Start (suggested) with 240 corn, next step with 360, then make the body
    wet with a cloth and let it dry. The wood-hair will come up and should
    be
    sandpapered with 600 corn after. Use of steelwoll will help to smoothen
    the
    surface before waxing.
    While sandpapering ALWAYS follow the grain of the wood.

I hope this helps, best regards
    Warwick
    Stefen Manz

I am kinda hesitant about sanding the body, will it change the sound of my bass? how deep do i need to go? Anybody has some other tips about this?

And btw, about the output thingie, i was thinkin maybe pickup height has something to do with this. height between pickup and low B string core is 0.85 cm, which is... 1/3 inch. Pickups are EMG's. Is this normal?

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It won't change the sound of your bass but it will get dirty again relatively quickly. I wouldn't bother sanding it, if I were you - I felt the same about my '87 Streamer when I got it back in '99 but now I love the weathered/used look, so much cooler than a 'pristine' bass.

Alex

5. Read THIS and follow the instructions.

The pickups are hotter!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. passive PUs more output than active EMG system?

and does upper solution for cleaning work too for natural-finished bodys?

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This would probably fit better in Setup... moved.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I wouldn't worry about cleaning your bass... the weathered look is character.. on my Elrick I have two wear spots from my thumb right around the bridge pickup... I kinda like it. I think of it as an identifying mark that makes it my bass... and I put them there whithin a the first year... i think that is accomplishment... ;)

9. yea but i just got it secondhand, its not my dirt :p

warwick says:

what can I say? Everything can get f.. up if the work gets
    made badly. But with some care, the risk is not high.
    You can also ask some professional woodworker, guitar builder,
    or even a window maker knows how sandpapering is propper done.

When I look to the picture, it seems to me that not much wood
    needs to be removed, I think less then 1 mm. It will not affect the
    tone.

I would avoid to use chemicals for cleaning all. Small rests can be
    cleaned, but it will probably light shades.

Most care must be taken with assembling and disassmbling the
    electronics,
    pickups and the neck.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    try changing the battery - it's probably dying.

as for cleaning it, follow the directions from warwick. i know that there's a lot of information available for cleaning instruments on the web, but warwicks have special care needs, from what i understand. their wax finishes need special care.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i had the same problem with an old custom shop fortress5 i used to have. i tried everything including what warwick told you. the guy i sold it to ended up having it dyed to green.

12. how did it work out before it was dyed?