1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about my setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aborted, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

My setup consists of an 8U rack with the follow, from top to bottom:

1) Furman Power strip / conditioner
    2) Line6 Wireless patch system
    3) Tuner
    4) dbx 160a compressor
    5) Rane para EQ
    6) Open spot for extra ventilation
    7) Ampeg SVT3-Pro

All this is going through an Ampeg B410HLF cab.

My question is:

How would you choose to wire this setup? Currently I have it wired in sequence from top to bottom.

Some people I talked to suggested having the compressor and / or eq as part of the effects loop instead of having it before the amp.

Some people have also suggested having the tuner in the 'Tuner' jack on the amp.

Also, is the only input on the SVT3-Pro on the front, or is there rear inputs? I can only see the front one, but it would seem weird to me to need to plug in the front of rack mounted amp when everything else is done in the back. Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks for your time. Here's a picture of my setup. Its a bit older so I moved the Rane EQ up a slot AFTER this picture was taken.

[​IMG]

2. No one?

3. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    FWIW, I would run the tuner from the tuner out and the compressor and EQ through the effects loop. Rack gear should run at some approximation of line level, so there's nothing to lose by doing this, and you reduce the risk of accumulating noise before the preamp. And using the tuner out means it doesn't affect your signal at all.

4. GrowlerBox is giving you good advice. His hookup suggestions will be the simplest and best to avoid possible noisr problems.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    yup, +2

6. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    +1 to Growlerbox suggestions.

The SVT 3Pro only has an instrument input on the front.

The tuner out on the 3 Pro is nice. When I had mine, I just hit the mute on the footswitch and was able to tune silently.

Just make sure you have adequate ventilation for the head.

7. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Personally, I would simplify the rig a bit and lose the EQ. Between the rack EQ and the EQ on the Ampeg, that's a whole lot of EQ. I've always found that the simpler you keep your EQ the better. IMO, if you need more than 4 to 5 bands of EQ going on, there are problems elsewhere.

Can't say I'm a big fan of live compression either, but for live compression, I prefer pedals like the Demeter Compulator which I put in front of the amp to tame the peaks just a bit before they hit the preamp. My main problem with using compression in my rig, is that you often get in a situation where the sound man is compressing the bass as well. At that point, kiss your dynamics goodbye.

8. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    the compressor does not have to go through the effects loop. i personaly dont like the compressor in the loop especially if the eq section of the amp is before the loop. depending on how much you compress when you boost frequencies in the eq they can just be squashed by the compressor and sort of defeat the purpose of the eq

9. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    While we're going there, you might just as well lose the Furman as well and voila! You've halved your rig size. Aren't you glad you asked?

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I could not possibly agree with this more.