Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about neck length

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thesquirrelmast, Mar 19, 2004.

1. thesquirrelmast

thesquirrelmast

Mar 19, 2004
    I have a question regarding the neck length on basses. How does it affect things if the bass has a 30in. neck length as opposed to a 34in.? Also what is a 3/4 bass, and is it tuned to the same pitch as a standard bass. Any knowledge that you could lend to me would be appreciated.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    there is less tension on the strings of a 30" scale than a 34". they feel more rubbery. the guitar neck also feels more like a standard guitar neck as the neck and fret spacing are smaller. the sound seems to be a bit thumpier also. they're made for girls.

just kidding.

don't know what 3/4 bass is. 32" scale???????

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    3/4 sized bass refers to an acousic upright (double bass).

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which is in fact the standard size.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Also, the correct term for what you're describing above is "scale length".. Determined by measuring from the bridge to the nut.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    No kidding! So, full-sized (if that's what it's called) is not standard size? What is the mensure on those sizes? Or is it just a difference in body volume?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    From Gollihur's site:

3/4!?!?! I want a FULL SIZE BASS!!
    No. You don't. Probably 99.5% of the basses on the planet are 3/4 size; it is the most-recognized "regular size" upright bass. The scale length (length of the string that speaks, from the slotted nut at the top at the fingerboard to the bridge) is 41.5 inches, and most other 3/4 size basses are in that same 41-42 inch range. "Full size" or 4/4 size basses usually have a longer scale length, and the body is larger, and frankly, there isn't a significant advantage, if any -- and you'll have a helluva time playing it and reselling it. Unlike the Olympic Diving competition, there are no extra points for degree of difficulty in bass playing! ;-)

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i wanna 23/32 size! 3/4 is too big.

f

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    We all know bigger is better! I need a 25/32!

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I want a 38/35

Peace
    Nick