1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyohars, May 3, 2020.

1. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Hi, I have two basses, MIJ 70's reissue PBass and Sire V7 1st gen. I'm most comfortable with the Sire neck. From information that I gathered, both have 7.25" radius and C shape. I know the nut width difference, but that's not what I feel the difference from them. I'm comfortable with both width, but the feel of the neck on feels different. So, what makes them different when they both have 7.25" radius and C shape.

2. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    I would assume depth (thickness between fingerboard and back of the neck), fretwire size, and finish. Jazz necks aren't necessarily all that similar.

stuntbass77 likes this.
  3. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    if I want to buy a new bass (read:s Fender Jazz) profile, how to determine that's the same neck? Because what I see almost all Fender basses have 9" radius.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Every manufacturer's C is different. Even the same manufacturer from one year to the next can have different shapes they call a C.

5. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    so the only way to found out just "play before buy"?

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yep.

There's even variations within what should be 'identical' models because there's still a level of hand shaping done to most necks. They don't pop out of a duplicating machine perfectly to size.

7. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Most modern Fenders have 9.5" radius fingerboards, though some have 12". Most old Fenders (like pre-80s) and vintage reissues have 7.25". If you want to buy a new neck, Warmoth (and I'm sure others) will make you one in numerous profiles, nut widths, fingerboard radii, fretwire sizes, etc.

8. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    tbh, I'm considering a Fender Jazz and Sire V5. I really want a passive Jazz bass and I'm considering the V5 because I think it'll similar with my V7 lol.

9. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    thank you

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021