Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about new warwick's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Claga, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Hi, hows everyone goin?
    Going over some old posts, i noticed alot of people dislike the new thumb and ss2 basses compared to the old ones because of the new ovankol necks and mec electronics. I was wondering if there are any basses that they make now that are the same as the older ones? Is the ss1 the same now as it was before?

Im new to warwick basses, so i have no idea how the old ones sound to the new ones (ive only played new ones...) Are the newer versions really that different tone wise and feel wise?

Thanks for your time

2. There are, so to speak, two generations of NT Streamers. The first ones had cherry bodies and wenge necks with thin maple laminations. These were built in the eighties. Then, in the late eighties/early nineties (please correct me if I'm wrong) the Streamer came in two different versions, the Stage I and the Stage II.
    I've got a '91 SSI, and it's made of flame maple, with a maple neck with wenge laminations. It has a two band eq, and the brass just-a-nut. I bought this bass in '93, and about then, there were some minor changes made to that model. The wenge laminations were now lost, in favour for bubinga, and it came with a three band eq.
    Apart from those minor changes, and the new nuts all Warwicks come with nowadays, the SSI hasn't changed much. Even though the new and old ones might sound a bit different, I don't think that the difference is that radical. Also, people always complain about the neck thickness of Warwick's basses, and as the neck on mine is quite slim, they may have beefed up the neck a bit as well. Please note that I don't speak from experience, I only assume things, 'cause my Streamer is the only SSI I've ever played. You don't see them in the shops as often as the cheaper bolt ons, for understandable reasons.

3. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    so i´m a proud owner of a warwick streamer bolt-on
    from aug of ´96...
    it has a fine cherry body, five piece flamed maple neck with bubinga laminations, a wenge fingerboard and the "all over the world" loved brass nut...
    it´s one of the finest warwicks i´ve ever played...and there´s a big difference between the new and the old ones...
    but as i also love the new streamer I, so i can only say... play it, play every bass you can get!!!
    if you love the sound the feel of the bass then get it!!

brgds sebastian