Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muttluk, May 28, 2001.

1. ok, i read as much as i could find on these basses, and they've just confirmed my belief. Now, i've got a question. I've only seen a Maple/Alder one, but never got close to it, (it was way up on a wall, and i was in the store for a non-bass related reason. Anyways here are my questions...

Why are so many of the reviews of Maple/Alder?
    Are the Maple/Alder basses "flamed maple"?
    Is the Wenge/Walnut only in 5 string?
    Is the Redwood/Alder only in 6 string?
    How much more expensive is the Quilt Top Tiger Eye?
    How much is the Average cost of these basses (i know its somewhere around $1000-1100 usd, but i wanna know what you all paid)

and for the personal question...

Which wood do you prefer?
    Would you want the variable mid option?

Basicly, tell me every reason why i should or should not buy this bass. the other basses i'm looking at are the Ernie Ball MM stearling, and the Fender Jazz 62 RI, i'm leaning twords the cirrus though.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. i've already read everything i could find there. not much was answerd. all my questions remain. thanks anyways though.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have not found one thing to complain about with my Cirrus 5. It has the most comfortable, fastest neck I have played on yet. It balances well both sitting and standing. I have been able to get a wide variety of tones out of it. I have played basses costing twice as much, and in my opinion, the Cirrus ranks right up there with them. The fit and finish on it are top notch too--I have not noticed any flaws in the finish or the workmanship on mine.

Any other questions, feel free to ask, I will answer them as best as I can.

Ryan

5. thanks for answering my questions. One last one. Do you know where i can find pictures of Cirrus'? because the Peavey website doesnt have very good pictures off the woods.

Also, what type of wood combo would you recomend for somone who plays Hard Rock (Deftones, God Smack, Limp Bizkit, Primus type music), Funk/Rock (basicly RHCP), and also Blues and Raggae?

just to let you know, i'm pretty sure if i get a Cirrus, i'm going with a five

6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey's website is about the only place I can think of right off hand for pictures. I am not too much help there, I guess.

I use the maple/alder combo to play Godsmack, Rancid, Limp Bizkit, Creed, etc. etc. I also use it for some older rock stuff, too, and it works out equally as well for that. I guess I mostly use my Warwick FNA for slapping now, but the Cirrus does have a pretty good slap tone as well.

My best advice would be to try out as many of the wood combinations as you can, if possible, and see which one is gonna be best suited for your needs.

Ryan

7. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    In my opinion the musicman is the better
    investment. Peavey does not have the resale or
    reputation for quaility as other companies. The
    carvin would also be a good choice if you are on
    a budget.

8. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I beg to differ...I've only played 3 Cirri (Plural?) so I'm no expert. But the build quality exceeded that of musicman basses, it also has many more different tone availabilities. I am by no means bashing 'Rays...thats of course the only place the unique 'Ray sound can come from.

9. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You may have read everything, but did you post your questions in the Guitar forum in the Basses category?...

Peavey customer service will usually reply by the next day :) .

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    First of all...Peavey Cirrus basses are NOT production basses. Each one is individually made and when they are gone from your dealer they are gone, unless they are used. Each dealer was only allowed a certain limited quantity.

Anyway...they are excellent basses. I own the Bubinga on Walnut 5 string. I too, had a very hard time getting past the Peavey name...but I kept picking it up and playing it. The finest bass I've ever played IMHO.

The tonal control of this thing is unbeleivable. I can get a Ricky sound, Fender P-bass sound...basically any tone can be dialed in. It is excellent running direct into the board in the studio and I've found that I don't need my amp to do anything more than boost the signal. It's onboard preamp and control will make even a plain PA power amp hooked up to a good quality speaker sing.

The quality of sound is in the wood. The electronics are second to none...but I bought this bass never hearing it through an amp. I could tell the sound was remarkable just listening to it with my chin resting on the body.

Any good quality stringed instrument should have great tone without any electronics masking it. Look at the quality of any fine crafted violin or cello. The electronics of most basses try to compensate for deficiencies of the tonal quality of the wood in the instrument...which is most definitely NOT the case with a Cirrus.

First bass I've ever played that feels like an extension of myself...rather than being an instrument that hangs off my body that needs to be "worked"...it is more like another appendage that moves naturally with me.

Beautiful Bass.

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Couldn't have said it better myself!!:D:D

13. These really are stunning basses. I'd love one but that's as far as it'll get, I'm sure.

Peavy produce a mag called, MONITOR. Least, it's available in UK as a free mag in music shops. It details most of their products incl. plenty of pics of basses incl. the Cirrus. It's also quite an interesting read, generally. See ifyou can get a copy.

Rockin John

14. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    While we're on the subject...

A buddy of mine (who may be lurking, for all I know) has a Cirrus 5 which he loves, but apparently is a battery hog. He's tried all of the standard solutions (unplugging it when not in use, making sure the batteries were good in the first place, etc.), but it's still sucking them dry in a week or two. From what I understand, the circuit board sits in the cavity in a way that prevents close inspection of the wiring/input jack. Anyone else experience similar problems, or have any suggestions before he starts tearing the thing apart?

15. Hello Lump.

No, I can't really offer any specific help but I agree with your sentiment. I, too, don't think batteries should be used up that quickly.

I presume the bass works correctly when the batts are up? If so I can only conclude that such batt consumption is a normal situation for this bass. Having said that, if the situation's only just started happening then it's clearly not normal. How old is the bass: is it still under a warranty? Is the bass supposed to turn off the batts when the lead is removed? Does it have a LED to show when the batts are on: if so that'll soon run them down?

I reckon it's got to be back to have a friendly word with this guy's dealer, warranty or not. Failing that, an email to Peavey might bring some results. Whilst manufacturers usually guard such details with secrecy, try asking them to quote the current consumption of the onboard circuit. Then a tech or the guy himself could check that against what's happening on the bass.

Hope that's of some help.

Rockin John

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    1) That's the most highly produced model, because those are more commonly used woods, and in higher demand due to familiarity. So there has to be a larger supply.
    2) No, quilted, I believe.
    3) No, all combinations are in all string #s.
    4) Read above.
    5) Should be no more expensive.
    6) $1100-1300 new
    7) Wenge/Walnut or Alder/Redwood.
    8) Absolutely.

18. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Tiger Eye finish option is more expensive than the other finishes. (The Ruby Red and Peacock Blue are more expensive as well.) I don't recall exactly how much more (or I would have posted a response earlier), but I believe it's about $100 - $200 list. Aside from the finish itself, The Tiger Eye also has a matching headstock, and the midshift E.Q.

Again, if you're serious about a Cirrus, these questions should be posted on Peavey's Guitar Forum in the Basses category. Then, the answers will come direct from Peavey :) .

Also, as to which wood options I prefer-
    I am considering ordering a Maple Neck Cirrus 6-string, which has the Maple/Alder wood combination with a maple fretboard. I like the bright aggressive tone that the maple top and fretboard provide.
    (I also tried a wenge/walnut Cirrus that seemed a little too aggressive for me. It also seemed a little heavier than other comparable Cirrus'.)

19. i posted my question on the peavey web page, and have gotten no luck. One person told me about that peavey magazine. that was it. I've had much better luck here.

20. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Is that the thread where you just asked about wood "recommendations", and then later asked where you could find Cirrus pics?

If you ask specific questions about availability and pricing like you did here, Peavey customer service (usually A.J.) will probably respond within 24hrs. Mon.-Fri. That has always been my experience.

(BTW, I'm just trying to help you get accurate answers to your questions :) .)